Thursday, April 5, 2012

Another 4 Miles and My Coconut Water Solution

Yesterday we did another 4 mile run.  I think that 4 miles is a really good distance for me because it is long enough that I feel like I have had a good workout, but it it is short enough that I can kick up my speed a bit, and not feel tired afterward.  I can have a recovery snack, a good stretch, a shower or a bath, and be on my way doing something else for the rest of the day.

I did find us a new route as we have been running that same 2 mile loop, twice, for our 4 mile runs lately and I thought it would be good to have a change of scene.  I mapped a 2 mile out-and-back along a trail that we have previously walked and biked  - was nice as it was pretty quiet and we only passed a couple of other people.

I also had my fastest 5 km stretch during this run so I am thrilled about that too!

I recently won a case of coconut water in a giveaway and it arrived a couple of days ago.  The Captain opened a carton immediately and drank it... I tasted it and didn't care for it at all!  Salty and odd, I thought.

I know that coconut water has all kinds of  good things going for it, nutritionally, and I didn't want to waste it... but what to do? 

After our run  yesterday, I opened one of the containers and poured the contents into the plastic mixing jar that came with my immersion blender.  Then I added about 1/2 cup of frozen berries and whizzed it up!



I tasted it again and it was really really good....  The Captain liked it too...

and then I put 2 scoops of my GNC Banana Berry Burst protein powder into the jar and whizzed it again.  I divided it between 2 glasses and we drank it while we stretched.


This gets a big THUMBS UP from both of us.... great recovery drink and this is how I will be using the coconut water for sure.

Today is arms day again on the Arms n' Abs April challenge.  Let's see....
  • 10 pushups
  • 20 frontal raises
  • 20 lateral raises
  • 20 bent arm side raises
This I can do!  Actually, I will likely add my own routine to it again.  I have been making some progress with my arms and shoulders these past few weeks and want to make sure I keep it up.  Summer is coming and that means sleeveless tanks and dresses, but ONLY if the arms are looking good!

Do you step up your routine when you think about wearing more skin-baring clothing?  Am I alone in this?

Do you like coconut water?  How do you use it?



8 comments:

  1. I love coconut water! I drink it. But you could probably use it in cooking too...like I made a Thai curry the other day and I use coconut milk, but why not water? I don't know for sure if it would work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not a fan of coconut water, but keep hoping I'll like it - I'll try it in a smoothie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually drink coconut milk! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely think about stepping up my routine when I realize I have to wear a bikini or shorts:) I haven't tried coconut water but I hear it's good for you. Not a fan of coconut. Glad you found a way to make it taste good:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can never decide if I like coconut water or not, it seems to leave a funny aftertaste in my mouth but tastes really good going down. I know it is a perfect recovery drink and how you fixed it sounds YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't care for the taste of coconut water either, but I think I could handle this. I tried a green smoothie yesterday...I bet I could add it to that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're doing really well. I'm pretty rubbish at running loops - I will almost always want to give up after the first loop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this post! Great job on your fast 5K!!

    I tried coconut water plain and like you, I did not like it at all. It was a sample in the store and it was room temperature, which I think that had something to do with it. Maybe it would be better cold? I like the idea of blending it in a shake so maybe I will have to try that someday - thanks for the idea!!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!