Monday, April 30, 2012

'Easy to Make' Healthier Snack Choices

Since I have been running so much more these past few months I have been HUNGRIER! 

When I first started to increase my weekly mileage I started craving sugary treats. I was giving in to things like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups, Almond Joy Bars, handfuls of chocolate chips and baking cookies by the dozens.

Needless to say these are not particularly great ways to fuel and active body.  I soon realized I needed to do better... and when I started eating more protein, the sugar monster released its hold on me.

I am still hungrier - and I should be with all the calories I am burning - but I am making better snack choices.  They are more nutritious and also more satisfying.  And they are ones that I have put together myself.

Here are some things I have been loving lately:

Salted edamame

Natural chunky peanut butter on a rye cracker


Laughing Cow cheese on rye crackers

 

Hard-boiled eggs











Occasionally I do still want and enjoy something sweet.  Here are some of my choices:

Sliced banana with cinnamon and melted natural chunky peanut butter



Smoothies with protein powder, all kinds of freggies, and chia seeds and/or ground flax seeds



Dark chocolate chips, dried cranberries, walnuts



Baked apple filled with dried cranberries, cinnamon, agave nectar









This is not a complete list by any means.... but I hope you might get an idea to make something healthy for yourself instead of grabbing a candybar or an icecream cone.

What is your favorite health snack to make for yourself?  I would love to have more ideas.

15 comments:

  1. You just made me incredibly hungry! And for some reason my pancakes with bananas and craisins isn't quite sounding as appealing as some of the other things on your list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! Great snack ideas! I am totally into spicy hummus and veggies right now. Also Greek yogurt with berries, almonds and chia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those snacks look delish! Especially the Banana with PB! I love Greek Yogurt with berries (even adding some PB2 into the mix is yummy!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love edamame and kale chips. I once made a pan of kale chips and ate the whole thing while the kids were out playing, so I made another pan and shared it with the kids, but I could have ate all of that one too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All of this looks so tasty especially the apple!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the saltiness of crisps or cheese after a workout! And I quite often scoff a tracker bar (nuts, seeds and chocolate chips - not really very healthy). I love baked apples but never considered choosing them for fuel! Great idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great snack ideas - they all look delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your banana and peanut butter option. I add one more thing to it to bump up the protein and the 'mouth feel'; 0% fat Greek yogurt.
    I mix the yogurt and peanut butter together until creamy, then top with sliced bananas. Tastes just like pudding!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I really needed this - I'm trying to revamp my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. PS: added it to my "clean eating" bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  11. YUMMMM these ideas are AMAZING, I'm bookmarking this page! Thanks Elle :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am bookmarking this! So many good things to try! I usually just go pretty simple and have hummus and carrots, celery, edamame, apples, oranges (and other fruits) or if I am feeling frisky, I will have yogurt & fruit w/ cinnamon and nuts (it's not ice cream but it does satisfy) or a smoothie. I tend to crave salty things over sweet things, so I eat a ton of pickles and roasted veggies with salt...savory stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! love the dark chocolate chips, dried cranberry, walnut mix idea! those are some of my favorite things! i feel like i have been pretty boring lately food-wise. my favorite snacks still include greek yogurt with some sort of mix of honey, cinnamon, nuts and dried cranberries.

    ReplyDelete
  14. yummy these all look great! I am big into trail mix type stuff and probably celery and peanut butter!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So many of these look fantastic! Thanks for sharing and for sharing the recipes too. I'm afraid I have burned myself out on bananas, but once I feel like eating them again, I am going to try the melted PB and cinnamon. Looks so good! Thanks for all of these healthy options, Elle!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!