Tuesday, April 3, 2012

I am a Happy Runner

My 4 mile run yesterday morning was glorious!  I was so happy to get out and going at just after 9 a.m.  We ran a 2 mile loop that I had previously mapped out... the flattest 2 miles I could find in this neighborhood, but still fairly hilly!  We ran it twice and it took 43.5 minutes... that is my speediest 4 miles so far and I was pretty excited about it! 

It always feels so good to run without the darn water belt!  I am so looking forward to ditching the jacket too...

Today on the Abs n' Arms April challenge, we are to do some biceps and triceps work... and it looks a bit skimpy to me so I will be doing my own routine for upper body work. 

I usally warm up for about 5 minutes and then do:
  • one set of 10 pushups
Then I get out the dumbbells and do one set of 10 each of the following exercises, first time through with 8 pound dumbbells and then, after 10 more pushups,  a second time with 5 pound dumbbells:
  • bicecp curls
  • tricep kickbacks
  • lateral raises
  • overhead raises
  • back flyes
  • pec deck
  • delt raises
  • frontal raises
Then I do a good 10 minutes of stretching.  I have decided not to do any more leg work until after my race is over mid May.  I think it was tiring my legs out too much and The Captain actually commented that he thought so too.  He rarely says too much about this kind of thing when I am coaching!

I think I finally have my hunger under control...  the added protein is helping and I have also been eating more fruit and Greek yogurt so I think that must have satisfied those sugar cravings, too, as they seem to be gone.  Thankfully.

Do you crave certain kinds of foods?

8 comments:

  1. It was a bit skimpy but I think (well at least this is what I do) it's meant as an easy ad on to your normal workouts.

    I only had the week after my race where I only did the mad abs march. That was b/c my hip was KILLING

    GREAT JOB ELLE!!!! you're doing amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on your speedy run! Usually the foods I crave are sweets and salty stuff. I agree that added protein has helped with the cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i OF COURSE crave sugar like crazzzzyyyy. haha. but i have been eating lots of chobani as well with cinnamon, granola, craisins and sometimes almonds. it is so filling and the perfect snack for me! i think upping my protein has helped me as well. i finally realized that i was not eating very much meat any more and could not figure out why i was always so hungry...i think i wasnt getting enough protein to truly feel satisfied.

    i was so excited to hear about your run on FB and DM! you are going to do so amazing at the half Elle! i know it will be a great day for you and all this hard work in your training will pay off :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice run! And workout with upper body too. Sounds like you have the right plan for your May race.

    I am always craving salty foods, so I reach for salted almonds. I always wonder if something is off kilter a bit that I crave salt so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The food thing is so difficult when you increase or change exercise! I always feel like I'm eating too much and then am surprised that my weight doesn't increase (which it definitely does if I'm not training!).

    Your four miles was pretty speedy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are doing awesome! great job on your run and your workout sounds awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you're feeling strong! I'm doing the April arms thing too. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, a glorious run! Just what I need to hear today!! :)

    I crave carbs. Hands down the thing I crave the most - especially when I am running. Once I can get through this month, this injury and getting back on track, I need to re-train my body to crave healthy carbs again (like whole grains). I felt so much better when I cleared out all the crap!!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!