Saturday, April 20, 2013

I am not good at perceived exertion when running

I was so happy to get out for a run in the sunshine this morning… it was breezy but just an absolutely beautiful day with all the trees here in bloom and the Spring flowers showing their finest colors.

We ran the same 5.55 km that I ran solo last week and it felt quite a bit easier than when I was alone, keeping an eye on my HRM.  But when I checked my watch, we had finished in a full minute and a half less.  Obviously I have no real concept of perceived exertion or time, when it comes to running anyway.

Did it feel easier because I had someone to talk to along the way, and wasn’t just thinking about my heart rate?   I would have thought that it would be harder, with using some of my breath for talking, not just running.  And I did 10/1 run/walk breaks today, too, which you think would take longer than just running.

W3 R42.5 @10/1 W3

When we got in I decided to make smoothies for both of us.  I used chocolate protein powder for The Captain’s and mixed it with a cup of ice cold water and a piece of an orange that I had pulverized in the food processor before mixing it into the smoothie.

Apr 20 Smoothies 001
 
I think that the bit of pulp in it made the smoothie even thicker… and he loved the chocolate and orange flavor… said it tasted like one of the those Terry’s Chocolate Oranges that we see at Christmas here.. and smash into individual segments to eat.
 
Apr 20 Smoothies 002
 
I made mine with some leftover cooked sweet potato, a couple of tablespoons of dried egg white, a bit of cinnamon, and 3/4 cup of original unsweetened Almond Breeze.  It was wonderful and thick… and kept hunger for lunch at bay for about 3 hours.
 
Apr 20 Smoothies 003
 
 
Are you good at telling how hard you are working when you run?  Any hints for  me?
 
Is is Spring at your house yet? What are your favorite signs?
 
What is your favorite after-run snack?
 
Inquiring minds want to know!

9 comments:

  1. I think because I ran for years without a garmin, I am pretty good at it. Generally one of the best ways is simply paying attention to your breathing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so bad at this. There are days I feel like I'm flying and then when is all said and done - I look at my time and I'm bummed. Then there are other times I feel like I'm dragging and my time doesn't agree! So hard!!! I do think that sometimes where there is someone to talk to - I feel like the run goes faster even if it didn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting smoothies! I've never tried chocolate and orange together on anything! :)
    Usually after a run I mix a smoothie with spinach, banana, greek yogurt, peanut butter, and milk ... yummy! I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those smoothies look amazing! Never would have thought of chocolate & orange. I have orange stevia so... :)

    I never have had a gadget that tells me how hard I am working PLUS being fitter for my age than charts too - well I do go by perciebed exertion - the 1-10 scake so often written about. If you can't talk at all - you are at 10 & working in the hardest zone - like HIIT that you might do for 30 seconds to a 1 or 2 depending on how advanced you are & you can't talk at all. Working in that zone that really burns the fat & calories is when you can talk but it is a friggin hard talk - meaning it is tough to carry on a conversation but not like previous note above when you can't even talk.

    If you can talk pretty easily than you are really not working at the most effective fat & calorie burning zone BUT running or doing anything is burning calories & better than doing nothing for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel absolutely no difference between a 13 minute mile and a 10 minute mile. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I try to use my breathing to monitor and control my exertion, but I also rely on my Garmin when I think I'm feeling sluggish, it often shows me that I am running faster than I thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. NO SPRING!!! I think it is a myth, it is snowing again..AGAIN today and supposed to tomorrow. I feel a little bitter about the whole situation...:)

    Those smoothies do look pretty yum! I tend to make smoothies or just protein shakes for recovery. I have also tried some recovery accelerator type stuff too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am horrible at knowing my pace and exertion levels too. After that triathlon I did I felt like I was running a 11 minute pace. My legs felt so slow, but I actually ran an 8:30 pace. Talk about off;) Wish I was better at pacing without my Garmin:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I go by breathing, but always run with a garmin. Sometimes I watch it, other times I don't. I think the mix is key.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!