Sunday, September 15, 2013

You Are My Sunshine, Too


When I was a little girl my Daddy sang and old fashioned song to me called You Are My Sunshine to me quite often.  I can still hear his voice when I think of the the words to the opening few bars…

You are my sunshine, my only sunshine

You make me happy when skies are grey



Birthday 3 (441x640)
My 3rd birthday!

I was very honored to be almong the 10 bloggers selected to receive the Sunshine Award by Joanna  at Sports Bras and Sippy Cups very recently.  I read Joanna’s blog posts daily and am genuinely inspired by her hard work and her dedication to her family. And let’s face it, I love the pictures she posts, too.  She is a generous spirit and I am happy to take part in the fun.


sunshine-award-300x214

The award is circulated to those bloggers to let them know that their posts brighten your day.


The Rules:

1.  Include award logo in a post or on your blog
2.  Link to the person who nominated you
3.  Answer 10 questions about yourself.
4.  Nominate 10 bloggers to receive the award. Link your nominees to the post and comment on their blogs letting them know they’ve been nominated.

Here are the questions Joanna asked, and my answers to them:

1. What made you start blogging?
 
I recall wanting to connect with some other runners.  And I started my food blog to showcase recipes for my Weight Watchers buddies.

2. What is one of your favorite kid movies? 
 
BAMBI is my favorite kid movie.  But BRAVE takes a close second.   I do love Merida.

3. If you could live in any State, where and why?
 
That’s a toughie as I do live in Canada. But I lived temporarily and seasonally in WA, and I do love OR., CA, and FLA.  I would love to visit Colorado and Alaska one day, as well as the East Coast.  I love the mountains and mountain lakes.

4. Do you prefer hot or cold weather?

As long as I can enjoy being outside, either is fine with me.  I love Winter sports as much as Summer ones.  I spent many happy times on ski slopes and skating rinks.

5. What is one of your favorite indulgent treats?

Almond butter.

6. If you get a week’s vacation, all paid, where are you going?
 
I would be happy exploring any new place… I have always wanted to visit Greece and Ireland so one of them, I think.

7. Who has been your biggest life inspiration?
 
My Father comes immediately to mind.  He was honest; he worked hard, loved and protected his family, had a wonderful sense of humor and a generous heart. And he was a bit of a rascal...

8. Name one thing that terrifies you.
 
Caves.  Small spaces.  Not being able to see the sky.

9.  Do you have any nicknames, if so, what are they?
 
My Father called me Bimbo as a child.  My husband calls me Squirrel.

10. If you won the lottery and was to donate part of your winnings, who would you choose to donate to?

I am a big fan of animal rescue/relief agencies. 

I am going to nominate these 10 bloggers to receive this Sunshine Award - they are all blogs that I have been reading for some time and try to look at them daily:

  1. Marcia – Marcia’s Healthy Slice
  2. Rachelle – Livin’ the Sweat Life
  3. Christy – My Dirt Road Anthem
  4. Katrin – Go Goggy Go
  5. Jill – Lipstick and Plimsolls
  6. Carrie – Family Fitness Food
  7. Sara – Words to Run By
  8. Marissa – Let’s Move It Mommas
  9. Kyria - Travel Spot
  10. Lisa - Miss Rainstorm
Here are my 10 questions:
  1. Best childhood memory?
  2. Nicest time of year?
  3. Favorite flower?
  4. Scary food you would never ever even taste?
  5. Zodiac sign?
  6. What spice would describe you?
  7. Snooze button or jump out of bed?
  8. Morning drink?
  9. Song that means something special to you?
  10. Secret crush?
 I would love to know what YOUR best childhood memory is.

21 comments:

  1. Yay thanks for the nomination! Love your nicknames and that your husband calls you Squirrel. This is fun, will try to get done soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for thinking of me! Your dad sounds like quite a charismatic character. I will get on this! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for thinking of me. I love these things. I'll get cracking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did this today too! Love getting to know you better... Bimbo. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So fun getting to know you more! I love your nicknames and I would move to WA or OR too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun getting to know you better! And just say NO to the snooze alarm! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. ha your dad called you bimbo? that's funny. I never really had a nickname. Hmm my favorite childhood memory...I always remember the fun birthday party sleepover of going to the pool, then pizza and giggling for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love love this old school BEHIND THE SCENES OF THE BLOGGER stuff too.

    **cue movie montage**

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you for liking both winter and summer--I have such a bad attitude about winter! Very cute that your husband calls you squirrel.

    I used to sing that song to my daughter every night in the rocking chair and she'd sing along with me. I still regret not taping that little voice singing it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm terrified of caves too! Love hearing your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the nomination Elle:) Can't wait to participate!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love these types of things and getting to know you better. I would donate to animal rescue agencies too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the nomination! I agree with you on the states and the weather! As long as I am outside I am a happy camper!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always enjoy reading these posts. And my dad always used to sing that song to me and it was really the only song I sang to both of my boys. It will always have a soft spot in my heart too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am laughing because you know how I am about these awards!! Yet I'm tickled pink my friend:)! Thank you.
    I promise to do my best. You have great questions and I like the ones you answered!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great getting to know more about you, Elle! You are a ray of sunshine for your fellow bloggers ;) I love the photo, too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's great getting to know more about you, Elle! It is awesome that you have such fond memories :) I love the picture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Elle, thank you so much! I love this post because I get to learn more cool things about you!! :) I have to say, You Are My Sunshine has a special place in my heart as well. My grandmother (Mom's Mom) always used to sing it to me when I was a child. I have very fond memories of spending summers with her and she is definitely someone I miss often. I love the picture of you and your father. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am going to go work on my post!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Elle, thank you so much! I love this post because I get to learn more cool things about you!! :) I have to say, You Are My Sunshine has a special place in my heart as well. My grandmother (Mom's Mom) always used to sing it to me when I was a child. I have very fond memories of spending summers with her and she is definitely someone I miss often. I love the picture of you and your father. Thank you for sharing it with us. I am going to go work on my post!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so much xoxo we love Merida too! Love learning more about you!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!