Tuesday, September 30, 2014

September Struggles and Successes

I started out the month of September full of hope and with an intention to knock off a couple of pounds of excess weight that I gained over the Spring and Summer months… I was feeling a bit soft around the middle, had lost some of the muscle in my arms and shoulders and was feeling quite down on myself in general.

I had a food plan, an exercise plan and thought I was on the right track to have a great RE-start in September.  But I didn’t make any headway at all… oh yes, I kept working out like a fiend, but I was not at all committed to my healthy food plan and was basically sabotaging all of my own efforts.

I joined a couple of Facbook exercise/nutrition challenge groups and did the daily postings and pics but never really got into it.  I wasn’t feeling motivated at all.  I wasn't getting any inspiration from these groups.

I knew that I had to make some changes but couldn’t seem to get over the mental hurdle of just doing it.  I made excuses.  I procrastinated. I pretended. I avoided.

Then I had an epiphany of sorts… which I wrote about here.  I made an about face… I gained a new mindset… And now I have a positive energy which has me travelling in the right direction.  I quit focussing on what I want the outcome to be, and am actually enjoying the process of looking after myself.

So what were the problems and what changes have I made?

I was grazing my way through the day and evening.  I was eating good and healthy meals but snacking on nuts and dried fruit intermittently.
  • I have put away all the tempting little nibbles so that I cannot mindlessly and easily grab a handful of nuts, or raisins as I pass through the kitchen.  They are now in measured portions and in an out of the way cupboard.
I was just winging it with my food plan... I had quit  menu planning pretty much altogether. I have always known that I operate much better with a written plan and I was just being lazy about doing it.
  • Every morning I make a food plan/menu for the day including my meals and my snacks.  At the end of the day, I look it over and note my deviations and think about why they occurred.
I was keeping junky snack foods in the cupboard, lying to myself that they were for The Captain.  Hah!
  • I am keeping healthy and whole foods in the fridge and in the cupboards. I am surrounding myself with opportunities to make good-for-me choices.  
I was in the habit of having a glass or 2 of wine before dinner several times a week.  
  • I have changed my pre-dinner routine so that I am going outside for a walk instead of sitting down with a drink.
All in all, I have developed some new routines. I have cleaned up my spaces. I have ditched the dieting mindset. I am looking after ME.

I am doing well. I am feeling better. I am seeing progress in the mirror and on the scale too… look out OCTOBER.

Do you ever sabotage your own efforts?  How do you motivate yourself to make changes?

10 comments:

  1. making a food plan for the day always helps me stay on track too. Glad to hear that you are feeling back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you are getting back on track. I had to finally clear out all the junk food in our pantry to keep myself from mindlessly snacking. And my hubby and I meal plan so that we aren't tempted to buy the junk food when we go food shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job getting on track. Yes, the handfuls of nuts and raisins are a big problem for me too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I set goals for myself and then to make myself accountable I actually utilize my blog and social media posting. Once I have committed its hard for me to breakaway from my goal. Good luck and hope you get back on track. October is a new month :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a serial grazer. When I'm working out of the home, I'm controlled because I only have what I have. Now that I'm on maternity leave, I find that I'm hitting up the pantry a bit too often.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for your new routines! Those challenge groups sound like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate Elle! Before doing Laura's reset I was thinking I was eating so well when in fact I was grazing way too much. When I cut it all out, and focused on whole, healthy foods, weight is coming off and I feel great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have sabotaged my own efforts and know what the issue is. I just need to deal with it because I workout out too much and too hard to just blow it to crap from what I eat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are great changes. I need to do some of them myself. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm pretty good at staying on track. That in spite of everyone's best efforts to lead me astray! There's always snacks at work. My husband is always suggesting carryout. I'm good at saying no.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!