Sunday, October 5, 2014

Starting October on a Positive Note

And we are well into October already… where does the time go?

I am doing well with my food and fitness plans… eating whole, real foods and only having the odd indulgence… why yes, that grande Pumpkin Spice Skinny Frap at Starbuck’s on Saturday morning was one of them… and it was mighty tasty.

I have had some nice surprises in the mail over the past several days… let me share a few of them with you.


Sept 30 blog stuff 002

A box of goodies from the Canadian PR firm for CLIF bars. I do love Builder’s bars and CLIF SHOT BLOKS, and am looking forward to trying the CLIF SHOT gel. That will be new for me. The Captain claimed the cap and will also get the CLIF bar. The lip balm is chocolate mint.  Awesome.


Sept 30 Pro Compression 002

A pair of Pro Compression Marathon socks. I like these socks and really wanted a black on black pair so I could hide them under my black tights some days at work.  I know they will be good for runs and recovery even if I can't wear them to work... perhaps hide them under slacks?


Oct 3 Tommie Copper 001

And a pair of pink compression capris from my beloved Tommie Copper.  I won them in a giveaway hosted by Carrie who blogs at Family, Fitness, Food last Spring, and due to a variety of errors on the company’s part, I am just now getting them. And I am thrilled!  The rep I work with there is so good at customer service and worked diligently to make sure I was happy.  YAY!


It would be hard to not be upbeat and optimisitc after all of that! 

I started the week on Sunday with a morning run in the sunshine along the waterfront. That always puts me in a great frame of mind. There were lots of boats on the Strait and lots of doggies playing in the off leash area that flanks part of my running path.  I love seeing them run and chase each other.

My motivation to eat properly is always high at the beginning of a new week and I am feeling confidant and hopeful because I am doing more meal planning instead of winging it… I made a huge batch of a new Fall soup and will also be making some low carb flatbread, too. If I have good choices readily available, and put the nuts away in a cupboard where they are not, I will be fine.

And we just booked a week’s getaway in November so I have something a little extra to look forward to keeping me on the right track… we are headed to Las Vegas… I have never been before, and I want to be looking and feeling sleek and slinky in the new dresses I plan to take along.

I just found out that the Rock ‘N’ Roll Marathon/Half Marathon is being run the day we leave Vegas to come home so I am going to check out the 5 k race… the half of the half is already sold out, I see.  At least we can enjoy the expo and get in on some of the fun whether or not we sign up for the 5k.


Have you ever been to Las Vegas?  Have you run a R’N’R race there?

What are you smiling about these days?

17 comments:

  1. You are going to love Vegas!! It's so much fun! The cirque du soleil shows are amazing. I saw Zumanity and Love when I was there. I've never run an RnR but they look like a lot of fun! Especially the Vegas one!

    And soup is my go to as soon as it gets colder out! I made a delicious butternut squash soup last week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE LOVE Vegas. For me it's less the running than the people watching :-) but YOU can do both.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never been to Vegas. :) I've got a big project in the works and hitting milestones makes me smile!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love Vegas too! It's great for food, shows, and (like Carla said) people-watching. Early morning run are always entertaining there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was in Vegas once and had such a fun time, so much to do and see! I haven't run the RNR though, someday I would love to! Have fun and I say go for the 5k!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did the Vegas half last Nov it was amazing! I had my best time there. it is flat and fast. The crowd is crazy supportive and it's really well run. You will have a fab time! Enjoy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I got the same goodie box from Clif. I totally agree! Excellent mail week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am smiling about the fall weather that we have been having here in Tennessee. It was great to get out and run in the middle of the day without getting heat exhaustion

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've tried a lot of compression socks and ProCompression is seriously the best. I've been to Vegas :) I'm [still] smiling about my long run on Sat. It was my best post-injury long run!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like you have a nice start to fall. I do love PROCompression...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I always wanted to go to Vegas and run the rock n roll half there, December is such a hectic month for travel! I hope you get to run the 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love Vegas - for short periods of time. It would be fun to run a race there! And so many fun goodies too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have yet to go to Vegas but my 12-year old went to visit with her aunt and was there for 2 whole weeks!!! Lucky girl. You got some nice swag!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great haul from Clif! I love love love Vegas - Hubby and I got married there 10.5 yrs ago, though we haven't been back since :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just love Clif Shots in Espresso. I have never been to Vegas and have never run a rock n' roll race but would love too! I hop you are able to as I'd love to hear what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  16. NEVER EVER have I been to Vegas! ha ha! I have no desire. But who knows? I kind of want to go and eat at a sushi buffet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I went to vegas a few years ago to do a tri near lake Mead. We drove the strip. It was way crazy and I had no desire to even get out of the car to explore it. I remember it in the 70s and that's how I want to remember it. The RNR marathons are way too big for me- I ran marathons back in the early 80s and did a few "big" ones such as San Fran...Phoenix. I prefer the trail marathons like Catalina and Grand Canyon with fewer runners.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!