I have been walking my feet off... and golfing and playing tennis. Sundays seem to have become my RUN days and so far I am enjoying it all. I just find being outside in the warm temps and bright sunshine to be very uplifting and fun. And don't tell me that walking 18 holes of golf carrying my bag is not a workout!
Outdoor activities and exercise offer so many benefits... here are just 5 of the ones that are most important to me:
1. Mood enhancer
- The fresh air and natural light elevate my mood substantially. Increased oxygen and endorphins and Vitamin D contribute to my happy factor! I love the warmth of the sunshine on my skin.
2. Mental stimulation
- I can vary my scenery by changing my running route or by visiting a different set of tennis courts or going to a new golf course. Or I can just head to the beach for a walk. There is always something new and interesting to look at. The light is different, the flowers are different, the people I run into are different... every time I go out.
- I enjoy participating in games and sports so much more than lifting weights and doing pushups in the gym. Yes, I do like to do those things too, but just not as much... and quite honestly, they never seem FUN.
4. Self Esteem
- I have lots of opportunity to feel a sense of accomplishment and yes, even pride, after a few good golf shots or a sweaty and fast tennis rally. I always come away from my activity with renewed confidence and self-assurance. Physical prowess is empowering.
- There is always an opportunity to change up the routine once outside. A walk through a park can become a workout doing pushups on a bench; a run can become a stairclimb. You can always find something interesting to add to your activity. Take a soccer ball along or a frisbee and turn your walk into a game.
What is your favorite outdoor activity?