Thursday, August 6, 2015

Here is How My Summer is Shaping Up

I have had a couple of things happen lately that set  me back on my heels a bit... so to speak... but I am bouncing back and want to do a bit of a catch up post.  I am going to sit down with a cup of my favorite coffee and fill you in a bit.




Let me start with some bad stuff... that way I can get it out of the way and then get on to sharing some happier new.

Last Saturday night there was a huge crowd of 500+ party-goers on the beach below the bluffs a couple of blocks down the street from us.  It was almost midnight before the police began to disperse the revellers and unfortunately there was some vandalism involved... we had just gone to bed for the night when we heard a loud crash in our living room.  Someone had tossed a broken yard lamp fixture into our living room window from the street. Our building manager saw three youngish boys running away. There was a gaping hole in one pane of glass about 3 feet wide and 5 feet high... lots of broken glass inside the room and on the balcony. No injuries, no other damage.  But a terrible mess.  

I was pretty shaken up and kind of scared. But the police that attended tried to assure us that we were not targetted, that it was totally a random act. All the same, quite creepy and unsettling.  The window has now been replaced and I am trying not to be worried about it anymore.  I know these things happen in the city... just never to me before now.

We were planning a late Summer cruise with our dear friend from Colorado... you may recall we visited him and his family in Greeley last August.  His wife called us a couple of days ago to let us know he passed away suddenly from a heart attack.  It was not completely unexpected, somehow, but very sad news and we will miss him so much.   He was almost 85.  This picture of The Captain and our friend, Bud, was taken in Fort Collins on that visit.



Now, for some happier news...

I have been working out consistently and diligently!  The Captain and I are exercising together these days and have been attacking 21 Day Fix workouts three times per week, alternating Upper Fix and Dirty 30 mostly.  I like them, and have been seeing good results in shaping up my upper arms and shoulders, but I think it is time for a change.  Next week, back to the Metabolic Aftershock routine.  I kinda miss Dr. Jade yelling at me!



We haven't been playing tennis or golfing lately... will get back those things once school is back in session here... and the running... yeah, still doing that as well... and lots and lots of walking, and a bit of swimming. We are lucky to have an outdoor heated pool here at our apartment building.

I love that we live in the thick of the urban core and can do much of our shopping and errands on foot. 

My balcony garden has been doing really well in the hot weather we are enjoying this year.  We have had a few feeds of cherry tomatoes already and they are truly delicious! Does anything taste better than a freshly picked tomato?



My wonderful husband, whom I have been calling The Captain since we first bought our sailboat in 2001, celebrated a birthday recently.  It was his day for food selection... pancakes (with candles) for breakfast, burgers for lunch and sushi with white wine for dinner. Yum!



I have lots more to share... but will save some for another time.

All in all, it has been a pretty good Summer so far.

How is your Summer shaping up?  Are you getting to all the things you wanted to?

10 comments:

  1. That would be so scary to have something thrown through your window. Glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! So sorry about your window! But hooray for workouts and birthdays! I hope the rest of your summer is great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry about the loss of your friend. And that is terribly scary about the window! But hopefully, the rest of the summer goes along much more smoothly! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! Hearing a crash of glass like that would terrify me. Sorry for the loss of your CO friend. Great pic of him and the Captain. Glad to hear everything else is good and wow look at those tomatoes. My garden is a wreck this year. It was so cold and rainy all that seemed to grow was weeds. Now it's how and dry and everything is way behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, that must have been SO scary! So glad it was random and no one was hurt. And my condolences about your friend passing away. Your little garden looks likes it's thriving! Very cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad you all were okay and my condolences about your friend. Your tomatoes look too pretty to eat! lol l I hope to start a garden (one day). I have heard great things about the 21 day fix! I have it on my list to check out. Happy Birthday, Captain (love that nickname btw)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh I cant imagine... windows can be replaced and I'm sure it was just random but glad you are ok. So sorry to hear about your friend :( I don't garden but envy those that do!! those tomatoes look marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear about your friend and your window! It can definitely be a little unnerving living in the city at times, but like you said, the perks include being able to walk everywhere! It sounds that despite those blocks you are still making the best of your summer.

    Mine has been busy as expected - I knew I wouldn't have much free time so I didn't plan on doing much, however I've been on track with my racing goals and had a great experience at BlogFest so I'd say it's a successful summer! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so sorry to hear about your friend! That is completely tragic :( But on a happier note, I adore that you're kicking work outs in the BUTT! Making your heart as strong as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. just catching up on...life.
    Im so sorry about your friend.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!