There are so many things that I really love to do, so why bother wasting time with all those that I don't? This also makes me a much happier person. What? How does exercise make me happy?
1. It makes me feel better about myself.
- It gives me a boost of self confidence when I work to reach a particular goal, whether it be for distance or time or even a rep count. I feel more confident on my feet and more capable physically.
2. It is a mood enhancer.
- From a science perspective, exercise increases the level of endorphins secreted by the pituitary gland that boost mood, lower appetite and block pain. From a fun perspective, I love to be engaging in activities I think are enjoyable, whether it is participating in a particular sport or hiking outdoors on a lovely day.
3. It helps me sleep soundly.
- On days I run longer or workout more intensely I am physically tired and I sleep much more soundly and wake up feeling more refreshed and energized for the new day... which makes me more inclined to have another great workout. A lovely 'cycle' for sure.
4. It allows me to enjoy some treat foods occasionally.
- Yes, it's true. Exercise burns calories while you are doing it and causes an increase in calorie burn for a while after. It's all about the math.
5. It is an aid to getting the physical shape I want to be in.
- Lifting heavy things makes bigger muscles. Muscle is shapely and great looking. I am vain and admit that having visible muscles makes me happy.
I know everyone has different reasons to work out. How does exercising help make you happy?