Once upon a time, I trained to run a half marathon… and along the way I read some interesting advice about using a foam roller to help my leg and hip muscles recover after the longer runs during the training.
There were so many different kinds of rollers available, and I was quite confused about the whole issue, but did want to try it out, so I polled some of my running blogger friends and got lots of different responses. I even wrote about them at the time. (Check it out, there is some good advice here.) I found a great web site about Self-Myofascial Release and read it thoroughly.
And after all of that I chose to try some of the techniques on my legs and hips with a good old-fashioned rolling pin! It was quite effective, I have to admit.
After my half marathon was over and I cut way back on the amount of running I am doing, I basically forgot all about rolling… until I saw a contest on Facebook, by Suzanne Digre of Workout Nirvana, who was giving away a Rumble Roller. I jumped at the chance to have it… and was lucky enough to win it and have Suzanne send it to me.
Well, I have to admit I was very VERY intimidated by this baby when I first opened the package! I immediately nick-named it The Beast.
you can see how large it is, even compared to my running shoes
But I have had so much trouble with leg cramps after running, that I was willing to do whatever it might take to prevent them. I have special supplements that I think help, and I make sure to stay well-hydrated, and I stretch an enormous amount, and yes, I foam roll with The Beast!
In all honesty, it took me some time before I was brave enough to try it out. I put 2 of my yoga mats side by side on the floor and practise my rolling while laying on top of them… and I do mean practise. I may never get the various techniques down just right.
I don’t enjoy it. I think I look ridiculous doing it. I know I FEEL ridiculous doing it. But I am sure it helps and I am so thankful every time I finish up a rolling session that Suzanne graced my life with The Beast.
This graphic shows the exercises I do with the Rumble Roller… and I was given permission to use it on my own blog… it is from an article you can find on FIX called Stepping Up the Pace: 19 Ways To Shave Down Your Race Time - have a look! They suggest that foam rolling is a way to increase your running pace.
If you are working your muscles hard… whether it be running, or strength training, or cross fit, or even if you just like massage… I urge you to get yourself one of the many tools available and get rolling!
One of the blog posts I read this week was about all the different kinds of rolling
- The Secret to Help You Recover Faster From Your Workouts at The Get in Shape Girl
- many of the tools that Kyra recommends are actually different sizes of balls – a really good read and very helpful
- Popular Fitness Myths Debunked at Your Trainer Paige
- heard any of these?
- Bringing the ‘Sexy’ into Posture Training at Go Fit Gals
- I don’t know about ‘sexy’ but there are some great exercises to help improve your posture
- Stepping Up The Pace: 19 Ways To Shave Down Your Race Time at FIX
- you runners will want to read this for sure
- Savvy Women Lifters: Get Fierce About Building Muscle at Workout Nirvana
- there is a great bodyweight workout in this post
- DIVINE Fudgsicles at Gigi Eats Celbrities
- I really wanna make these!
Well, are you a ‘roller’? What’s your weapon of choice?