Sunday, May 31, 2015

So... About Exercising on a Cruise Ship

I thought I should put together a little catch-up post.  So many people have asked me about the cruise, and whether I managed to keep up with my fitness activities... you  may recall I was quite concerned about that before we left on our vacation near the end of April.

And all in all, it took some concerted effort.

We flew to San Francisco and spent 2 days on our feet, pounding the pavement, site-seeing.  My FitBit told me that we walked just over 19 km the second day.  Then, on the afternoon of the 3rd day, after doing a lot of walking in the early a.m. hours, we boarded the ship, and a couple of hours later, we cruised under the Golden Gate Bridge on our way to the island of  Oahu, in the state of Hawaii.

That was Wednesday. We spent 4 whole days at sea before landing in Honolulu on the following Monday morning.  And, we did lots of walking on the ship.  We walked up and down the many many flights of stairs and avoided the elevators when it was practical.  We walked on the Sun Deck and we walked around, exploring.  We swam some too.  A couple of different times my FitBit registered more than 163 floors climbed.

On our ship there is a Promenade Deck just about halfway up.. and at the broadest points fore and aft. It is a really nice outdoor walkway all around the outer perimeter of the ship. Posted signs told us that 2.5 times around equalled 1 mile in distance.  Early on the 2nd or 3rd day at sea we decided to go out on the Promenade Deck for a run... but the doors were roped off and we could see that the deck was wet... so we went up to the Sun Deck.... 8 floors up, and ran a couple of kilometers there.... still all outdoors and all around the ship, but with some zigsagging involved.  Later that same day we returned to the Promenade Deck at about 5 p.m. and ran 2 miles around. It was fun... kind of windy as we rounded the bow, but very pleasant.  We repeated that same  run a couple more times while on board.

When we were off the ship, in the various ports of call we visited, we walked... a lot. We never did any on-shore runs, but lots of walking.

And what about the ship's fitness centre, you might wonder.  Well... I did check it out a couple of times.  It is near the top of the ship on Deck 15. There is a spa with several treatment rooms and after you walk through that area, you come to the main part of the fitness centre. There is a corner with free weights, and another large area with several treadmills, elliptical machines, and some rowing machines...  I know there were stations with clean towels and hand sanitizers... and an area where the various fitness classes and health seminar schedules were posted.

Through an open door at the back of this room you would find the aerobics studio. This room had a good supply of stability balls, exercise mats, smaller dumbells, spinning cycles, and a barre along a mirrored wall.  Apparently this is also where the yoga classes were held, and the whole room was pretty much available all day for anyone who wanted to use the various equipment to do their own stretching, or bodyweight exercises.

If you know me at all, you know that I will always opt to exercise outdoors instead of inside.... particularly in a gym setting with other sweaty strangers.  Why not be out in the fresh air, running around the deck, instead of indoors, running on a treadmill right beside someone else?  And as for the free weight area, every time I checked it was populated by young turks who appeared to think it belonged to them. I chose not to get involved.

I had suspected before we boarded that I would not make use of the gym... I did go to a couple of seminars in the aerobics studio... but honestly, when I see all of those different people making use of equipment that I might, the germaphobe in me gets quite squeamish and I refrain.

After we returned to San Francisco on our way to Vancouver, we walked for about 6 hours throuh North Beach to Chinatown and back to the termina... and once we got to Vancouver we walked around downtown for about 3 hours before we boarded the helicopter that brought us home.

I was lucky in that I never once had any problems with leg cramps on this vacation. I made sure to stay well hydrated and drink my Natural Calm elixirs before bed every night.  Even though my feet ended up with calluses and blisters, with some blood blisters under my toenails, the muscles were fine.

And since I have been home?  Well, that is a story for another day.

At the very back of the ship there is an adult-only pool.  Nice!


How do you stay active when there are limitations?


17 comments:

  1. so funny I hadnt even wondered really as I just ASSSSUMED you were Walker McGee.
    With the size of the ship and docking etc there just seemed so much opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to walk (or stand) as often as possible but sometimes inertia comes roaring into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, we don't often take long vacations that would really rock my workout routine too much. However, I always back my running shoes and clothes and make that effort to get out there in some way. I've run beaches in the Bahamas, run a 5K on my last cruise, run around the resorts in Disney, etc. I am not much of a gym person (very intimidating), but I can usually find a place to lace up and get out there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post... and great questions. Staying (or starting) active while there is space/time limitations is a struggle. I guess my biggest advice is to get creative! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have been on a lot of cruises and it can be done! I was really diligent about planning my workouts but being flexible about the types of workouts. Healthy food can be found it just takes work. glad you had a nice trip

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hitting a gym when you're on vacay is really hard... I usually take it as my rest week, because it's good to take a week off from anything once in awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it would be fun to run on the stops, but what about showering and all that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never been on a cruise before! I always pack my running shoes wherever I go though. It's a great way to see a new city. And walking goes a long way!! looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like an amazing trip! I love cruising and my exercise usually is avoiding the elevators, stairs only!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. If walking is my only option, then I go with that. Walking is better than no exercise at all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never been on a cruise but really want to go on one! When I've been limited in space or equipment (like when I traveled to Paraguay recently) I try to do bodyweight workout videos :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just do whatever I can - a walk, a run or a short workout in my hotel room. I do not worry too much about it since I figure I can get back to my usual routine when I get home.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I do what I can and that's good enough. Body weight workouts would probably be my go to. I guess I assumed there would be a lot of options for working out on a cruise.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you did a great job keeping up w/your fitness while on board. sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like you had a great time! I try to hike or bike when I travel but if that's not an option I usually just end up getting in lots of walking:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, working out on a cruise can be different. Nothing like running around an endless track on board a ship :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'd love to be in an adult only pool! I love kids and all until they start splashing at me haha

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!