Monday, May 18, 2015

Home From Spring Vacation

I have just returned home from 19 days away… 2 days in the oddly charming city of San Francisco, and then 17 days on a luxurious cruise ship in a few different ports of call to Hawaii and then Mexico, San Francisco, and finally Vancouver before a short helicopter ride home.  Even though there were a few small incidents and annoyances, overall it was quite wonderful!
 
I had been very concerned about being bored on the ship during all those long days at sea… needlessly as it turns out. I was as active as I wanted to be most of the time.  I did a lot of walking and some running and some swimming on the ship itself, and walked whenever possible at our different ports of call.  I chose not to use the ship’s fitness equipment or yoga/aerobics studio…there were some incidents of illness onboard and honestly, I am not really a gym rat anyway.  I tried to stay outside as much as possible.

I did wear my FitBit and was always pleasantly surprised to see the number of steps I had taken each day and the number of flights of stairs I had climbed too… we rarely used the ship’s elevators in going up or down and some days I logged 163 flights! 

And of course everyone wants to know about the food… it was overwhelming at first.  But I learned that dessert always looks better than it really tastes!  And there was an abundance of fresh fruit and veggies and lean proteins available.  You just have to look past the decadent sauces and soups and salads to find them.

I have been easing back into life at home and slowly unpacking and getting reorganized.  Filling up the fridge with fresh produce yesterday and going for a nice long walk along the waterfront was a first priority… today I get back into my workout groove and back on my food plan.   It’s good to be home.


24 comments:

  1. Did my first comment come through? Either way - welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a great time! And happy you avoided the illness:/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm seriously jealous--almost 3 weeks away! You must be so relaxed!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome home Elle! Cannot wait to hear all about your epic adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you guys had a great adventure! Glad to hear you stayed active and didn't get bored! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow sounds like a fabulous trip! I always worry I will get bored on ships too but there is stuff to do if you want to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome back! Sounds like such an awesome trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, the thought of illness on board a cruise ship kind of makes me nervous. Sounds like an amazing trip though! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh, that sounds fabulous! welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you managed to relax lots and lots! Can't wait to hear more about some of the places you visited on your cruise :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. welcome home! i could absolutely use a relaxing vacation away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Welcome back! It's funny - I just got off a cruise (although not three weeks of it), and I agree about the desserts. So weird that they can't get that right.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like you had a fantastic vacation! Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so true about many foods, it looks better than it tastes. Just a bite will do it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, that sounds like am amazing trip - I can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Welcome home! 19 days seems like a lifetime at home but gone in a blink of an eye on vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like a great trip! I was away for 8 days and was so ready to be back home at the end. Can't imagine being gone longer than that.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never had that long a vacation in my life - how cool is that! Welcome home!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sounds like an amazing trip. I love San Francisco! I would love to live there. I went there 3 times within one year after the first time I Went because I just truly fell in love with the city!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Welcome home! San Francisco is my all time favorite city.

    ReplyDelete
  21. welcome back!!!!!!! 19 days sounds fantastic here.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's been ages since I have cruised and really enjoy it. Nineteen days is quite the vacation welcome back home :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sounds like a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sounds like a great adventure!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!