Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Playing Catch-Up and some #PROOF

It feels like so long ago that I wrote my last blog post and I just checked the date on the last one... sure enough, it was last Friday!  It has been such a busy few days that I think I will do a bit of a catchup post today... just a couple of things I want to note.

Tuesday, April 10th

The Captain and I did a 4 mile run on a trail that we haven't been running yet this year, waiting for it to dry out more after the winter rains.  We were pleasantly surprised to find it had been graded with fresh gravel and was in great shape.

Almost as soon as we turned onto the trail, from the street entrance, we passed a couple who were stopped and looking up a tree at a woodpecker.  We said hello to them as we passed and they immediately started running behind us and the man asked "What are you training for?" so I answered him.  And, then, thinking I should be polite and interested, I returned the question... and got about a 4 minute answer of all the races they have lined up for the next 2 years!  And then she passed us and he had to sprint a bit to catch up with her.  Several times he looked behind him to see if we were catching up.

It was all so funny.  And I wondered why he assumed we must be training for something.  Couldn't we just be out for a morning run?

Saturday, April 14th

We did a 10 mile run on Saturday morning.  I wanted to do a 'dress rehearsal' of sorts for our race day.  If I decide to take advantage of the early start, it will begin at 7:00 a.m.   So, Saturday, we got up at 5:45 a.m. and both drank a huge glass of water.  Then we had a breakfast of whole wheat bagels slathered with salted chunky peanut butter, a hardboiled egg, and half a navel orange, with one cup of coffee.

I prepared us each a 16 oz. water/nuun drink to pack along in our fuel belts, and long with 2 gels each.  We got dressed in warm gear as it was just above freezing outside.  Then, we left the house at 6:45 a.m. to start the 3 minute walk down the hill to the day's starting point.

It was a pretty good run... we did a mostly-paved urban trail that we have covered on bicycle in the past.  It was an out-and-back and at the turn, we both ate a gel packet. I was so pleased not to get it all over my fingers and clothing!

I felt like I could have drank more water than my 16 oz. bottle held, and in fact, The Captain did give me the last couple of ounces in his. 

I was tired by the time we were done.  This route has a pretty steep incline for the last half mile and no matter how far we have run, it always sorta does me in!  But I was so happy to have it done.  The one thing I will do differently next time, is to share a nuun with The Captain when we first wake up, instead of just drinking a glass of water.

We had lots of water when we got back and had recovery drinks of coconut water/fruit/protein powder while we stretched on the back deck in the sunshine.

The big smile is a sure sign of #PROOF

I had a nice soak in a tub full of hot water and epsom salts and  then we had a busy day shopping and picking up more things for the apartment.

It was a leisurely evening and by 10 o'clock p.m. I was climbing into bed, wearing my Recovery socks.  About an hour later I woke up with a cramp in my left thigh and one in my right calf.  I got The Captain to start a hot bath running, and get me some dill pickle juice in a glass.... I had heard it worked for cramps so decided to try it... it actually tasted pretty good and I sipped about 2 or 3 ounces.  The cramp in my left thigh was gone almost immediately and the hot bath helped the right calf cramp to subside.

I put Tiger Balm on the calf and then put my Tommie Copper calf sleeve on to go back to bed. I slept for about another 2 hours before that cramp kicked up again... this time I just stood up for a couple of minutes and it went away so I crawled back into bed and slept through the rest of the night till 8 a.m.

Monday, April 16th

I jumped out of bed at 6:15 a.m. and turned the computer on and called up the universalsports.com web site to watch their live stream of the Boston Marathon.  At 6:32 I started to panic because my screen was still black and blank.  I was soooo annoyed.

The Captain turned on the tv and started channel surfing through the sports networks.... and found a broadcast on SportNet1 for me.  Thank so much, Captain Dear!  I eagerly watched the elite women's race, and then the push rim finish and the elite men's race, too.  Awesome!

I was so sorry to see that last year's female winner was in a collision with a woman who came right out on the course to hand water to the runners.  Very sad, as although she did seem to recover and get her groove back, she fell back eventually.  Then I heard that last year's male winner only ran 18 miles and then withdrew due to cramping.

But the highlight for me was watching Josh Cassidy, the 27 year old Canadian, from Oakville (Toronto), finish and win the push rim contest, breaking the world record by 2 seconds.  It was amazing wathching his well muscled arms and shoulders power that cycle to the finish line.   Gives me goose bumps when recall it.

Josh Cassidy, who lived in Guelph and still works here at a fitness club, reacts Monday with his trophy after winning win the men's wheelchair division of the 116th Boston Marathon in world record time.

Tuesday, April 17th

Today we did a 5 mile run and that same end hill tried to get the best of me!  But I felt so much better and stronger after these 5 miles than I did after the first 5 miles of our 10 mile run on Saturday.  That gives me a lot of confidence.

We completed the 5 miles in 58 minutes and that is a PR for me. I am thrilled to have done it in under 60 minutes!

We discussed this coming weekend's 11 mile run.  The Captain would like to run the same trail that we did last Saturday... just adding half a mile at the turn around end.  But then we talked about this darn hill and how I would like to avoid it... so I am going to map us a route on that same trail, that goes farther than that half mile, so that it can END before the last hill.  We can walk that hill when we are done, just making our after run walk that several minutes longer.  I am sure it will be a better finish and I won't be so wiped when it is done.  Aren't I just so clever?


I am really loving the NeoCell Collagen Sport whey protein powder.  Today I used a scoop of it in my smoothie, along with a banana, 1/4 cup of frozen mixed berries and 1 Tbs of chia seeds.  It looked so pretty I thought it warranted a wine glass!

Don't forget about my Collagen Sport giveaway.  I would love for you to be able to try it out, too.

Did you catch Boston Fever?

Are you running this week?

What do you think of the pickle juice for easing cramps theory?  Ever tried it?


  1. Wow, you are really getting strong! 10 miles! Remember 2 months ago when you were just starting out!? You have come really far!

    I LOVE the smoothie in the wine glass. Classy!

    I like pickle juice, but only because I really crave salt when I run a lot. I never heard of using it to get rid of cramps. I thought it was Potassium that was good for that.

  2. Sorry about the cramps:( I have never tried the pickle juice thing. Good to know. Sounds like a great running week and you must have looked like pros out there:) I couldn't believe that lady came out right in front of the runners to hand out the water. Crazy! So dangerous.

  3. I've been having the same problem - being so busy that it's hard to find time to write blog posts! Your running sounds like it's beautifully on track at the moment - the half marathon is going to be a breeze for you! x

  4. If I have friends over for a brunch, I often make smoothies as an appy and serve in a wine glass! YUM. I would suggest that you sit in a COLD water or even ICE-Water bath post run, then take a warm shower. The cold really does help to start to heal the muscles and send the message to the brain to heal them. I find the best way to do it is to fill the bath first, and then get in with a cup of hot coffee or tea. I HAVE to wear shorts and socks and of course keep my top on. I only fill to hip level. It has worked wonders for me after 16 and 18 mile runs. I've also heard that milk and bananas help with cramps.

    Great job on the runs! The training is going so well!

  5. seriously. that pic of you is so perfect!!! you look so happy and confident! love it! sounds like you have had so many great runs this week :) i have never tried pickle juice before...but i have a friend who swears by it! when i cramp over night i think it may be because i have been not hydrating enough or not getting in enough electrolytes...so now before big races i make sure to drink gatorade the entire week before and i also suddenly have a "fear" of not getting in enough water. i feel like i am downing water all the time! haha! good luck on the 11 miler this weekend! i will be thinking of you and the Captain :)

  6. what does proof? stand for?? and I AM running this week :D BEAM OF HAPPINESS!!! I am going to go over a plan for how I will ease back in and then discuss it with my new physio therapist next week ;)

    I forgot to enter your giveaway. I think it's weird that people try to talk while running. that sounds like something I'd do though ;)

    and I wish I had watched more of Boston but alas I only watched the winners

    pickle juice for cramps? you're silly ;)

  7. 5 miles in under an hour is a big milestone Elle so congratulations! We always kept mustard packets in the wrestling first aid kit for cramps. Those were apparently the secret of the football team trainers and worked quite effectively. Pickle juice is a little more difficult to have on hand on the field I suppose!

  8. Nothing beats the satisfaction after a good long run! WTG! I love me some Neocell!
    Total Boston fever here!

  9. Wow, Josh Cassidy is definitely inspiring...

    great week for you and the dress rehearsal seemed to go well, huh? You're doing great!

    Yep, we're running this week and finally racing again on the 28th at a local 5K! we've missed the races and my son wants to do the 1k, so we'll make it a family thing! have a good night

  10. Awesome recap, Elle! You have been busy, I see. :)

    I have not been running. This has been a long week and between my knee and this nagging cold, exercise is the last thing from my mind, I'm afraid. I am hoping things start to pick up and I can get back into running. I miss it, and I know it will make me feel better...but I can't breathe right now!

    I read a little about Boston, but was at work so I could not watch. I cannot believe how hot it was, though, that would have been SUCH a difficult race. Running in the heat is horrible as it is, let alone to have it be Boston.

    My friend, Chris, that is running across the U.S. SWEARS by pickle juice! I have not tried it and I don't even know where I would get it, but I want to try it too. Mostly to see if it helps ease my sore throat. ;)


Love it when you leave me a comment!