Thursday, February 9, 2012

Rainy Day Indoor Workout

We woke up to pouring rain today.  I was so glad we didn't postpone our 2 mile run yesterday in favor of doing it today.  It was threatening rain when when we went out yesterday and we almost put it off.  Dodged a downpour there!

I spent most of the morning cutting and chopping veggies to make a huge pot of soup, writing food blog post,s and doing laundry.  The rain didn't let up so after lunch I knew I would have to find an indoor workout to do. 

I looked through my workout DVDs and just didn't see anything that interested me today, so I tuned the tv to a show I wanted to watch, and did 30 minutes of aerobic dancing... just me and the tv and it was really fun.  I worked up a good sweat, and after drinking a huge glass of water, got out the dumbbells and did 20 minutes of strength training, too.

1.  With 8 lb dumbbells:
  • 3 sets of 10 reps each
    • bicep curls
    • tricep kickbacks
2.  With 5 lb dumbbells:
  • 3 sets of 10 reps each
    • lateral raises
    • overhead presses
  • 3 sets of 10 reps each
    • upright rows
    • delt raises
  • 3 sets of 10 reps each
    • frontal raises
    • rows
3.  A leg workout:
  • 20 alternating rear lunges
  • 10 squats with 5 lb dumbbells
  • side leg raises, 10 per leg
  • hamstring curls, 10 per leg
And then I did a good 5 minute stretch.

It felt really good to work hard and get sweaty, and I think tomorrow I will focus on some Core work as there is no running on the schedule until Saturday.



Do you like to make up your own strength workouts?

Ever do any impromptu aerobic dancing when no one is watching?

6 comments:

  1. I always make up my own workouts depending on what I feel like doing (or think needs the most work!) It's amazing how good of a workout you can get with just yourself and a dumbbell or two!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elle - you would serious kick my butt in real life. No joke. I did strength today as well and it was brutal - so hard. I thought I would die...but I didn't.

    I have never designed my own workout....does stealing yours count?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love to create and make up my own workouts...keeps things interesting!!

    ugh, we've been dealing with crazy rains too...here's hoping it clears for you soon too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Does it count that I like to use YOUR strength training workouts?! This look likes another one I would like to try! Thank you!! I really really need to get back on track with my strength training. When I was doing that consistently is when I really lost the majority of my weight.

    Thanks for always inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great workout! I need to mix my routine up more often--I get stuck in what's convenient and I'm sure the payoff is little these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like to create my own strength or bootcamp workouts from various places online - sometimes I feel weird going through them, but after a few reps you get in the zone and stop thinking about it.

    Looks at those legs!! Running and strength are doing a body good ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!