I can hardly believe that March is almost over. And with it, my temporary gym membership is almost over as well. The actual expiry date is Thursday, April 3rd, but because I don’t go on Thursdays, my last class will be Flow Yoga at noon on Wednesday. I am sad about that because I do really enjoy that class so much.
But, in all honesty, I have such mixed feelings about the whole experience. There are so many things I have loved about having this gym membership and… other things, not so much.
What I loved:
- the variety of great exercise classes I have participates in such as Body Pump, Flow Yoga, and Body Flow
- the availability of a wide variety of other classes I could attend including, but not limited to Body Shred (the new Jillian Michaels product), RPM Spin, Body Combat, Body Step, and Zumba
- the selection of cardio machines – lots of them and a good variety of types – treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, steppers, moving steps, and at least 2 or 3 styles of each as well.
- tv screens on each cardio machine
- mp3 player jacks on each cardio machine
- huge group exercise room
- lots of Spin bikes in the cycling room
- lots of yoga mats, yoga blocks, steps, barbells, and weights in the group exercise room
- large stretching/balls/mat area
- large weight area along with several scary machine and good assortment of dumbbells and weights and benches
- knowledgeable and very friendly staff
- good locker room facilities (with hair dryers and nice counters) that are clean and tidy and well-maintained
- there is a women’s only affiliate club at another location that is part of the overall membership
- they do not allow image-capturing devices to be used anywhere on the premises
- they encourage everyone to participate and don’t seem to show favoritism among the clients
- I haven’t seen any creeps or ‘lunkheads’ or ‘Barbie dolls’
- there are well-stocked sanitizing stations all over the premises and signs asking clients to clean the machines after using them
- there is a towel service
- there are tanning booths
- there is a courtesy phone in the foyer of the locker rooms
- this gym is only a short walk from my home
- large space with lots of machines that no one seems to use. They are used in succession for circuit work but I rarely see them being used. A waste of space I think.
- some fellow clients can be annoying – coming into class late and squeezing in where there really isn’t adequate room – leaving yoga class and disturbing people during the Shavasannah when the instructor has clearly asked that no one do this and has suggested people leave before it starts if they cannot stay to complete it
- there are several clocks in the locker rooms and in the fitness areas and they all seem to have different times on them
- the classes I like are only available at 6 a.m. or noon
- the prices is $60 per month plus taxes – I am not sure how this is compared to others – I think it is a bit steep
- there are no paper towel dispensers in the washrooms and only hot air blowers to dry your hands – they seem to blow the water all over the wall behind them and I think it is yukky
I have read so many great blog posts and articles over the past week that I am eager to share some of them with you. This is a fairly long list, but I don’t want to leave any out:
- Essential Stretches for Runners by HappyFitMama
- 7 Tips to Boost Your Immune System by Urban Nutrition
- Best Dang Workout Program Design To Build A Better Body & Be More Awesome by Nia Shanks
- 10 Advanced Ab Exercises For the Summer by LiftingRevolution
- 8 Tips to Have a Positive Body Image and Stop Obsessive Eating Habits by Your Trainer Paige
- Benefits of Strength Training by SlimSanity
- Discomfort vs Pain - the Runner's Dilemma by Run To The Finish
- Cross Training the Secret Running Ingredient by KatrinaElle
- 6 Reasons to Build Lean Muscle by The Get In Shape Girl
- Maximize your workout efforts – Learn how to Fuel Your Post-Workout Days by Ben Graham
- Grips and angles | two simple ways to progress your workouts by FitKnitChick
- March Mad (Fit)ness: My Final Four by Running With Ollie
- Fat Loss 101: Five Strategies that Work by Sarah Jane (The Fit Cookie,Fit Betty)
- 12 Great Stretches for Tight Hip Flexors by FitBody HQ
- 18 Signs You're With the Man You Should Marry by Cosmopolitan
So for the month of April, I have decided to concentrate on FLEXIBILITY. That will mean lots of stretching and starting a home yoga practice. I think I will get The Captain involved too. IF you have any advice, I would be glad to have it.
And a little Spring cheer to leave with you… here is the view across the street from our apartment today… sun shining… willow tree busting into full leaf, and turtles basking on the log in the lake. I wish you could see all the herons flying around, picking up bits of twigs and branches as they build nests in the tall oak and fir trees in the park.
Do you stretch or do yoga for flexibility?
Any beefs or bouquets about your gym?
What is your favorite thing about Spring where you live?