Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Welcoming Spring, Gym Update, and Sharing Great Reads

I am always so excited to welcome Spring. I think it is my favorite season… flowering Spring daffodils and tulips are my favorites... and I love to watch the bursting pink and white blossoms on the cherry and plum trees, the little green leaves growing on the deciduous trees, and the fern leaves uncurling.  The herons in the park across the street are starting to build nests, and the local coffee shop patios are filled with people who are out and about and so happy and friendly in the warm weather.   There are new baby goats at the Children’s Farm in the park and a couple more nannies are ready to give birth any day.  So exciting.

I have thoroughly been enjoying my gym time since the beginning of the month.  I have settled into a routine of noon hour group classes… Tuesday is Body Pump, Wednesday is Flow Yoga, and Friday is Body Flow.  I normally walk to the gym and then run on a treadmill for 15 or 20 minutes before going into the group exercise area, stretching, and getting any equipment ready for the class.  The Body Pump is really hard and really fun and I love it. It leaves me so tired with a huge grin on my face.  Such a nice change to the heavier lifting we do at home. And now that I am tasting yoga again, I do intend to start a home practice and keep it up.  Really.

I have also been working out twice a week at home with The Captain, doing strength workouts…  and also some running, and some walking.  This Spring weather is beckoning me out more and more. 

All in all, I am loving the workouts… but I really don’t care for the timing of it all. Taking an exercise class at noon is very disruptive to the rest of my day.  If I could take a class at 7 or 8 a.m. I would be thrilled.  But there is nothing available at those times here, so I will continue status quo until the temporary membership runs out the first week in April.  I think I will try some of the other cardio machines next week.

I wanted to share some blog posts and articles I read this week that really spoke to me.  Some of them are by bloggers I normally follow and some are new to me.  I bet there is something you would find interesting in this list, too.








Just a little photo of my very favorite thing about Spring arriving on my street…


Turtles in the lake

Yes, the turtles in the lake across the street from us have come out of Winter hibernation and crawl up on this log to bask in the warmth of the sunshine… usually for a few hours mid-day. Sometimes there are as many as 17 of them.  Nice that the willow is leafing out too, of course... but I don’t think I will ever get tired of seeing these turtles.

Any signs of Spring where you live yet?

Did you read anything shareworthy this week?

How would you feel about a noon exercise class?

9 comments:

  1. Sigh, I don't think we will ever get rid of the snow this year. I love the greenery in your picture. Enjoy the spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy that spring is here! Except it's still pretty chilly in NYC. I really can't wait to it to warm up some more! Thanks for these great links. Most are new to me and I can't wait to check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ((squinting to see if my comment took?! :-))

    ReplyDelete
  4. the grass is trying to peek through the mud, spring is coming it's just coming really slow! You are going to miss the gym when your free trial is over, all those great classes. I would want my classes first thing in the morning too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't lie Spring worries me here because it just means summer...oh florida summer we are not friends :) I kid I'm loving it. Hmm some great reads that I hadn't seen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great view! Not a whole lot of spring happening here although our grass is growing pretty long;) So glad you are making the most of your gym membership:) I just received the TC shirt yesterday by the way and I can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have spring peepers now! Heard them on my run this morning. Made me happy. I agree--a noon class would be very disruptive to the day. I had a favorite yoga class I used to take but it was at 10:30 and same thing, it just messed up my day too much. Now I find an earlier one or do it at home.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well some of our snow has melted but we're getting more. There are some bulb shoots popping up, but they're all yellow since they haven't gotten any sunshine under all that snow. Glad your gym time is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My favorite season is actually fall, but when I was younger I did love spring because it was one step closer to summer vacation lol! Now that I live in LA though, I won't lie to you - it's sort of ALWAYS spring here. So I really cannot complain one bit!! Feel free to visit LA whenever you want when the weather gets cold and dreary again! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!