Sunday, July 1, 2012

#CanadaDay Frozen Vanilla Protein Pops

Happy Canada Day!

Canada is turning 145 today!  And Canadians across the country and around the world will be decked out in red and white to celebrate!

And we will be eating red and white foods too… angel cake with strawberries was always a family favorite to top off a barbecue or picnic.

I am not eating wheat right now, so no angel cake for me, but I did make some Frozen Vanilla Protein Pops… red and white, and so tasty.

My 6 frozen pop moulds have a volume of about 2 cups… measure yours by filling them with water and then emptying them into a measuring container to find out the volume and then alter the ingredients accordingly.

Frozen Vanilla Protein Pops
Makes 2 cups total – in 6 frozen moulds
  • 2 scoops vanilla protein powder
  • 2 cups unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze
  • 1/2 cup fat free plain yogurt
  • Dash of Stevia or Splenda (optional)
  • 4 – 6 small fresh strawberries, washed and hulled

  1. Blend the protein powder, Almond Breeze, yogurt, and sweetener, if using. 
  2. Pour the mixture into the moulds till each is about half full.
  3. Cut the strawberries into slivers and place the pieces into the moulds.
  4. Add the remaining liquid to each mould. If any are not completely full, top off with a bit more Almond Breeze.
  5. Freeze the moulds for several hours.
 
Per serving, 1/6th of whole recipe.
Calories 57; Protein 9g; Carbohydrate 3g; Fat 1g; Fibre0 g.

June 30 Canada Day pops 001
Fill the moulds and then place them in the freezer for several hours


June 30 Canada Day pops 002

June 30 Canada Day pops 003
To eat, remove from the base … you may need to put them in a bit of tepid water for a minute or two to loosen.


June 30 Canada Day pops 006
After a few bites, pieces of frozen strawberry become apparent… this is a really tasty treat!



I posted this recipe on my food blog today as well, but wanted to share it here as well... this is a fun and tasty way to get in an extra shot of protein and would serve well as an after-run or after-workout recovery snack as it has the 3/1 protein/carb ratio that is popularly recommended.

It won't give you a blood sugar spike, either.   Let me know if you try them!

If you are celebrating Canada Day what are you up to?
I think we are walking to the Inner Harbour to get in on some of the internation food booths and check out the day's entertainment... and of course there will be fireworks after dark!




7 comments:

  1. Happy Canada Day my sweet Canadian friend!!! I luuuuuuuurve your protein pops!! and ohhhhh my gah, I love angel food cake!! You should try out this recipe: http://glutenfreehomemaker.com/2011/06/angel-food-cake/ <--- it's gluten free!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound amazing.......and thank you for putting what size a serving is! I see so many recipes that just say serving = x calories and it never really says how many that is. I need to buy some frozen pop moulds!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Canada Day to you and The Captain! Those look good and so refreshing too - it is back to 100 degrees here this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Canada Day, these look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you enjoyed a wonderful Canada day! I have never attempted to make my own Popsicles before! how fun and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummm! I hope you had fun yesterday:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Canada Day! I hope it was a good one! Those pops look great. I am going to have to try that!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!