Friday, June 29, 2012

Getting My Sweat On With DVDs

This past week I have really been getting my sweat on!  Aside from all of the walking we have been doing, and the fibreglass polishing on the sailboat (remember  the Karate Kid  spending hours doinng 'wax on' and 'wax off' to strengthen his arms?),  I have been working out some afternoons with a variety of exercise DVDs.

Monday I did the whole Biggest Loser Last Chance Workout DVD.


It has a warm up - 5 minutes, cardio/strength intervals - 25 minutes, upper body workout - 10 minutes, lower body workout - 10 minutes, cool/stretch - 5 minutes... if you are familiar with Jillian Micheals at all, you know it is tough.  I cannot complete the last of cardio/strength intervals as it is mountain climbers and jumping jack planks, but I do my best and I love to yell at Jillian.

I picked up some DVDs from the libary this week to have a look at... and so Thursday I did The Biggest Loser Jump Start DVD.



This one is led by 3 different contestants from the show and is actually better than I thought it would be.  I did the whole thing and the workouts each have about a minute of warm and cool and are 10 minutes in total each:  cardio, cardio with weights, upper body workout, lower body workout, ab workout, for a total of 50 minutes... a good sweat, and fun.  There are some things I hadn't seen before and I did enjoy it... although I think it would get 'old' pretty quickly if in a regular rotation.

And today, I chose another library find.. one I have looked at before but never got around to trying... one of the 10 Minute Solutions titles called RAPID RESULTS Fat Burner.



Again, each 10 minute section has a short warm and cool section and solid heart-pounding cardio routine.  There are 5 of them in all, each quite different from the others: power sports drills, extreme intervals, low impact fat blaster, rapit results kickboxing and cario max.  All of them were intense and after doing all 5 of them I was quite spent.  I enjoyed the workout but honestly I  wouldn't select it again.

I have not run yet this week... I sure hope the weather holds so I can get out Saturday for 5km.

Do you like exercise DVDs?  Do you have any to recommend to me?

Do you use YOUtube for workouts?



 



7 comments:

  1. These sound like some great DVD's. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last one I did was buns of steel over a decade ago. I can't seem to stay focused with them for some reason so I quit trying maybe I would be better at it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't use DVDs (although maybe I should try some?) but I do use YouTube for the odd workout (e.g. Jess @Blondeponytail and ballet barre exercises). And I use the Wii - not a particularly strong workout, but fun and better than nothing!

    You've had a busy workout week :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job getting your workouts in:) I have some DVDs but have done them so many times that I am sick of them. I need to try some of the BL ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just got Rodney Yee's Power Yoga collection - and has yoga for athletes on it. I did it the other day and I love it!!! I also love Jillian Michaels - she kicks my arse everyday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to be honest. I have NEVER done a workout DVD, but I am REALLY good at favoriting workouts on youtube (and then never doing them). It is the thought that counts, right?!

    I am a huge Jillian Michaels fan though, so maybe I just need to break down and try one. I have her Hot Bod In a Box which I like because they are little cards with exercises on them that you can pull out and customize your own workouts. You can do it without a gym too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have never tried any DVDs. I did try Buns of Steel about 20 years ago, but that only lasted one time. I guess I wasn't really into it. I also found a good yoga video on YouTube, but it's hard to watch it on the computer and do the moves at the same time. I guess you are staying in a house now? I can't imagine doing jumping jacks etc on a boat!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!