Sunday, June 3, 2012

Hot Lemon Water - Easy and Healthful

I have decided to start my day off with a cup of hot lemon water... I used to do this quite regularly, and for some unkown reason, just quit doing it several months ago. 

Aside from just tasting good, hot lemon water is a great way to take advantage of some of the health benefits that eating lemons and lemon juice afford us.

Lemon is a purifier that helps boost our immune systems.  It is a natural antiseptic and plays the role of blood purifier, thereby fighting infection.  The high Vitamin C content enhances the skin from within and helps bring a healthy glow to the face.  And, last but not least, lemon aids in digestion and helps the body eliminate waste more easily.

I like to wash and cut a fresh lemon in half... and remove the seeds.  Then I fill a mug about 3/4 full of hot to boiling water and squeeze the juice from the lemon into it and then drop the lemon into the cup too.  If the lemon is small, I use the whole thing, otherwise I cover and refriegerate half for another serving.



This morning after a light breakfast, The Captain and I went out for a lovely 5km run around our new FLAT neighborhood.  It is a lovely day here so there were lots of other runners out and I am always energized when I see other people running.

W2 R38 @ 9/1 W4
stretch 15 minutes

I know it is only the 3rd of June, but I am happy to report that I am keeping to my first weeks' workout schedule... actually doing a bit more than planned so far.

I am on the hunt for some yoga stretches.  I really need to work on my flexibility... especially my legs.  I have a copy of Yoga Journal from the library and it has some poses that are recommended for runners so I will be giving them a try this week.

Do you practice Yoga?  Can you point me to some easy beginner's flows?

Are you a fan of hot lemon water?

11 comments:

  1. I used to drink lemon water in the mornings also, but I've fallen out of the habit. It's something that my aunt swears by and she's been doing for years. She also never gets sick. Coincidence, I think not!
    Flat neighborhoods are the best. I love running, but I don't love hills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man do I love lemon water!!! I need to start drinking that again. As for beginner yoga? I am love with yoga. I took several sessions this year but I'm taking a break right now (mostly so I can work at the gym, make money while I pump iron :) ) - but I learned so much that I can do the sequences without a class right now. I'd try some vinyasa poses...searching youtube would help or you can search amazon.com for some beginner dvds or catch a class!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not supposed to drink for a while while I take heavy iron supplements, so I have started drinking hot water with lemon and I love it!
    For yoga - have you ever gone to yogadownload.com? They have a lot of different yoga classes that you can pay for, but they usually have a 20 minute clip from each class that is free to download. I have a lot of them and they're great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips, Elle! I forget about lemon water, I should have it again soon. It's also great to combat late night snacking. :)
    Yoga dvd's could be helpful. Do you have access to Netflix, or some at your library?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never tried hot lemon water. Not sure I could give up my coffee in the morning...

    ReplyDelete
  6. i love hot lemon water, so darn good! i haven't done it in a while but I need to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hot lemon water sounds great! I will have to try that. Glad you had a nice run yesterday and the weather was good:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow! i had no idea about the benefits of lemon! i will have to try this. thanks for the tip Elle! glad you and the Captain enjoyed a wonderful run and that your month is off to a great start!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like lemon water, but I usually put tea and ice in mine ;)

    I found a lot of free yoga videos on YouTube, including this one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3vLZqPZxZE . If you don't like it and you want another, try typing in "beginners yoga".

    ReplyDelete
  10. Elle - you are making me thirsty! I love lemons and lemon flavored drinks! As for beginning yoga stretches, check out yogaonline.com and gaiam.com Both have a HUGE library of good yoga poses, DVDs, videos, etc. All the best! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVI8tKkXvNs

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have not tried yoga, but I hear a lot of runners talking about it. Our running group is currently offering yoga for runners and hope I can take advantage of that once I get better.

    Hot lemon water? I have not tried it, but you are the second person I have heard about it from. I am going to start doing that! It sounds like a good day to start my days off with something that is both healthful and soothing. Thanks, Elle!!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!