Thursday, June 14, 2012

Shout Out to Some Canadian Fitness Bloggers

Thanks to Kyria who writes Travel Spot for tagging me for the Lovely Blog Award.   I always enjoy reading Kyria's take on things and love to look at her photos.  Plus she had some great advice for me when The Captain and I were training for our half marathon and was a great source of inspiration.  ThankYou, Kyria.  I appreciate your support so much!



Here is how to participate:
1) Post the award logo and picture on your blog and link back to the person who nominated you. 2) Tell seven things about yourself. 3) Nominate up to 15 additional bloggers whom you think deserve the award. 4) Post a comment on the blog of each nominee to tell them they have been nominated!

It is fun to take part in these ‘getting to know you’ posts … I love to read them when other bloggers post them... the hardest part is coming up with 7 new things I haven’t told you before.  Racking my brain, here goes:

1. When I was in my early 20’s I used to visit  a tea leaf reader occasionally, with a dear friend who was very into the occult and read Tarot cards.  On one particular occasion, the woman who was reading my leaves told me that water, particularly the ocean was going to play heavily in my future and become very important in my life.  I thought that was very amusing, as I lived in the interior of British Columbia at the time… 500 miles from the Pacific Ocean, and although I did fish occasionally in the rivers and lakes nearby, it seemed unlikely the ocean was on the horizon.  Fast-forward to 2002 and I was living on a sailboat, and now, in a building less than 1/4 mile from the ocean.  Was she right or did I make it happen?


 I found this pic online.. wonder what this cup of leaves shows?

2.  I was a tomboy when I was a child. I loved playing outside with the boys with trucks in the dirt and making stick horses to ride so we could have ‘shoot outs’ with our toy pistols.  I hated playing house and school and nurse with the girls.  Little girls tend to scream a lot and I have always hated that!


My horses looked very similar to this pic I found online.  We cut them either out of wood or cardboard and sometimes make yarn manes.

3.  I was a Daddy’s girl.  And was extremely jealous of a new baby brother who arrived when I was almost 10.  Prior to that we were a 2-daughter family so the BOY caused quite an upheaval. I refused to look at him until he was about 3 weeks old and I realized we were keeping him.  Amazing that we became such great friends…

4. I like to do crafts of all kinds.  Maybe this stemmed from the broomstick horses!

5.  I like quiet.  When I am alone, I am hardly EVER likely to turn on the tv or radio or stereo.  I like silence.  For some reason I find it comforting.

6.  I have always been an advocate for the the underdog and the mistreated! The only times I  ever really got into scrapes at school or work were when I was minding someone else’s business and sticking up for them when they wouldn’t or couldn’t do it for themselves.

7.  I am starting to love working out and running again… for a few weeks after I ran my half in May, I was burnt out and not wanting to do much that involved more than walking.  Now I have a lovely,. bright and cheery room to work out in, and a new neighborhood full of possible flat running routes and I am excited to be moving and sweating again.

In tagging more bloggers to receive this award, I thought I would take the opportunity to showcase some of my fellow Canadians.  These are blogs I read on a regular basis and really like.  There is a good variety here so I hope you will add some of them to our regular reading list too…

In no particular order:

Running with Spatulas
SiobhanMcCarthy.ca
The Athletarian
Running Jennie
I've Always Been a Joiner
*CaNdy FiT*
Canadian Runner in Exile
Slow is the New Fast
Fit in Heels
Fit Knit Chick
Piper’s Run
SPIFFYKERMS.COM

Have you ever had your tea leaves read or your fortune told in any way?

Do you like quiet?

11 comments:

  1. I am so used to noise with dogs and boys that I feel really weird when it is silent. Sometimes i turn on the tv when I am home alone just to have noise. I would probably benefit from some silence:) Fun to learn new things about you:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank so much for the tag, Elle!!! I love that you showcased Canadians! I used to be super crafty too. I have an inner artist that wants to be unleashed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for tagging me!
    I do like the quiet....it is rare in my house with two young boys

    I have never had any kind of reading...I would like to but I would also be scared I think!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have come to enjoy silence more and more since having kids. I liked the background noise when I was younger for sure.

    So glad you are enjoying running again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the quiet during the day but once that sun goes down quiet is a recipe for my mind to play tricks ;)

    are those really all Canadian bloggers???? I can't believe it! creeping them...

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's funny that you went to a tea reader. I have never gone to any of those fortune teller type people. But I do wonder if you make it happen because they say it, or if they are actually right. Thanks for the shout out! You know I love following along on your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bery interesting about the tea leaf reader. I was say she was right on! I was a HUGE tomboy too and preferred playing with my brother over my two sisters. Although I did really like Barbies sometimes too. Fun.

    I didn't always love silence but I find the older I get the more I do :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for tagging me Elle!
    I didn't get around to writing my post this weekend, but should be able to do it for Tuesday!
    Lots of other random things to talk about as well!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd say water definitely played a big part in your life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is great to find out some more things about you! I do like the quiet - especially lately because it gives me time to think and reflect. :)

    Thank you for giving me some more reading! I have enjoyed getting caught up in blogland today. I have spent HOURS reading and of course, I saved the best for last - which is why I am just now getting to you updates! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for taggine Piper's Run Elle.
    I've never had my tea leaves read but I have had my hands read and tarot cards done a few years back. It has almost all come true!
    I like quite when I'm driving my car alone - no radio just me, the road and my thoughts. I usually have the radio on in our house.
    (Apparently I am super late at seeing this - but June 14th was my daughter's birthday so maybe that's my excuse:) thanks again for including me.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!