Friday, July 29, 2011

Fabulous Friday Run!

I was happy to be out for a run this morning... (The Captain wanted to wash the dust from the boatyard off our decks and canvas so I didn't even ask him along)... the weather was just right and I did wear my HRM, thinking I would do a 8.5 km long, slow run.  But, as I loped along at 75% to 80% of max, I realized that most of my runs this past month have been long, slow runs!  I never seem to do any speedwork anymore and I have been trying to get in lots of distance too so haven't done anything that is 'short', for me. 

So, I decided to run the out-and-back route in 2 separate modes.  The 4.25 km 'out' would be a slow run, and the 4.25 km 'back' would be faster.

I did the first half in 35.5 minutes and I wanted to do the whole distance in 68 minutes which would give me an average pace of 8 minutes per kilometer.  That meant I needed to cover the second half in 32.5 minutes... so I increased my rate to 85% to 90% of max and then really poured it on the last one full kilometer.  And, I did it easily in 7 minutes, which made my HRM start beeping like crazy, as I was running at 100% of max. 

Now I know that these numbers are arbitrarily calculated, based on my age, and aren't likely terribly accurate.... but I do have to have some frame of reference, and so these are it.

I was thrilled to get back to the marina and have covered the 8.5 km in 68 minutes, with no walk breaks.  And I am patting myself on the back for being such a math whiz, too.

So I did get in some distance, and some speed, took no walk breaks, drank 1/2 litre of water along the way, and whew.... enjoyed it all!  I REALLY enjoyed it.  It was so great to be out there, just loping along without a care in the world.  I love that.

I need some new running shoes...  oh yeah.  I bought a pair of Asics against my better judgment, and they are just not gonna cut it - just not enough suppport, so I will use them for walking, and look for new runners... again.

W2 R68 W3
stretch 5 minutes

5 comments:

  1. ELLE!!!!!!!! way to rock your run! i bet you felt so accomplished after! It always feels good to push yourself :) Have you tried Sauconys? That is what I wear and I think they are great for support but not sure how much support you are looking for? I agree...I bought some asics and they are just not my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the compliments and the idea... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WaHOO! That is so awesome. You are amazing! Congrats on such a great run. I bet that was such a great feeling. This post just got me excited to push myself a little more. You are inspiring!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. I loved your comment on my blog today! I completely agree with you. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!