Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Gone Sailin’

I started out the week with a commitment to myself.

I will get in all my workouts this week! So far so good…

On Monday morning The Captain joined me for a 5 km run. It was the 6th and last event in the 5 by the 5th series that Laura from Mommy Run Fast has hosted this year… It was the first time I had run in a few weeks and wow were my legs tired in the evening… even had some cramping and wore my Tommie Copper compression tights for a few hours till bedtime.

After the run we stretched, hydrated and then went out for a swim.  I did 15 minutes of laps before retiring to the Jacuzzi… mmmmm…. and then after lunch I did a 20 minute Pilates session.

This morning I got up and got right  to it… did a 20 minute full body Tabata session and then we had breakfast, packed a quick lunch and headed off to the marina to take our sloop out for the day.

It was our first sail of the season and I realized I never blog about sailing anymore… so thought I would share some pictures from the outing.


June 4 sailing 001
The Captain getting the mainsail ready before we head out.


June 4 sailing 002
Quiet and calm… happy happy girl!


There was very little wind today… which suited me just fine.  I like to take some time getting my sea legs and there are so many little things I forget when we are not on the boat all the time, that it was really nice to start out gently.

The Captain calls me a ‘helm hog’ because I like to be at the wheel instead of using the autohelm device for steering… and he does all the sail raising and lowering, and all of the tacking.  He is a good first mate and we had a really fun afternoon… lunch on board, a gentle sail and a beautiful blue and quiet day on the water.  Reminded me of why we bought that boat in the first place.

June 4 sailing 009
Such a beautiful day – could see the snow on the mountain tops on Hurricane Ridge in the Olympics in Washington State, about 45 miles away.


I do let him take the wheel once we get back into the marina though cause we have to back down our little channel and into our slip, and he is much more patient with it than I am.  When we get to the dock, I hop off  and then he does, and we pull the boat back into the right spot in her slip. Yes, we have it down to a science and politely say ‘no thank you’ to anyone who may be passing by cause they always offer assistance.

This awesome weather we are having is supposed to last a couple of weeks so perhaps we will get out for another outing next week… a bit longer… would be great.

Have you ever been sailing?  Are you a boating fan?

6 comments:

  1. You do look happy and peaceful on the boat. I have never been sailing but it is one of the things I would like to try one day

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos! I've been sailing before a few times and have enjoyed feeling the power of the wind in the sails. Of course the most memorable was in Australia to the Whitsundy' islands...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like so much fun! And like a beautiful day for it--great way to spend it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you got out on the boat:) The weather has been so nice lately, finally! I have been on a sail boat once and loved it. As long as I don't have to be in charge of anything;) We have a bayliner, but don't use it enough. The weather doesn't help with that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah, that looks so great. I have been sailing around the San Francisco bay and I love it but I can't say that I am an accomplished sailor. I need to get out again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your sailing outing looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!