I have always been a big fan of pancakes and so wanted to come up with something easy and quick to prepare... and delicious. I think I succeeded. The shake mix is quite tasty so there is no need to add vanilla or cinnamon but I did use some milled flax seeds to give the pancakes a bit more body and texture.
Any fresh or frozen fruit would be a lovely topping for these easy pancakes… strawberries in season just happen to be my favorite. They are chock full of antioxidants and are low in calories and carbs. I think they are just the right accent for the Vi-Shape Shake Mix pancakes.
High Protein Flax Pancakes
Makes 2 servings of 2 cakes each
- 2 heaping scoops Vi-Shape Nutritional Shake Mix
- 1/2 cup egg whites
- 2 Tbs unsweetened almond milk
- 2 Tbs ground flax seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 small ripebanana, mashed
- In a medium bowl, mix the protein powder, egg whites, Almond Breeze, and flax seeds, till well-combined.
- Mash the banana in a separate small bowl, then mix into the other ingredients. Stir until batter is smooth.
- Lightly Coat a saucepan with non-stick spray and set over MEDIUM heat. Pour 1/4 of the mixture into the warm pan and spread gently till it is a circle about 4 - 5 inches in diameter.
- Let cook several minutes. You will see a bit of bubbling from underneath when it is ready to flip.
- Gently loosen all around the edges with a spatula and flip the pancake over. Cook a couple of minutes more.
- Remove the pancake to a plate and cover to keep warm.
- Cook the rest of the pancakes in the same manner.
- Top with fruit of your choice or syrup to serve.
Per serving of 2 pancakes without toppings.
Calories 169; Protein 11g; Carbohydrate 18g; Fat5 g; Fibre 4g.Visalus supplied me with the shake mix to create this recipe.