Tuesday, November 5, 2013

#onesmallchange Pre-Workout Fuelling

It’s Tuesday, and for the past several weeks I have been linking up to Marcia’s #onesmallchange posts as part of her LAST QUARTER Challenge… to help keep us on track to meet our year end goals.  Just a bit of fun to help maintain focus.  It is certainly working for me.

photo-15-1

This week my #onesmallchange is to make sure I am giving myself some good fuel before I begin my workouts.  I have been experimenting a lot in this area over the past many weeks and have finally come to realize that I don’t do my best work or give a great performance on a completely empty stomach.

Of course it depends on the workout.  If it is cardio such as kickboxing or a run, I need about 100 calories… a large banana, or a small protein shake, or a couple of my frozen protein bites… and if it is a strength workout, even when working my legs, I can get away with a bit less.

But I have learned that if I don’t eat enough, I barely eke out my workout and then I am feeling light headed and shaky and even after eating a good breakfast, it takes a while before I start to feel good again. I don’t like that feeling at all and intend to avoid it… better to eat a bit too much, I think, than not enough.  Have you experienced that, too?

This morning it is raining here.  Big rain.  Gloomy and cool and I wanted to go out for a sprint workout… but opted to stay inside and do my G.I. Jayne Kickboxing workout instead. It is very similar to running sprints actually.  So I made myself  a small protein shake with half a banana, one cup of unsweetened Almond Breeze, a scoop of protein powder and a sprinkle of cinnamon.  It was delicious and I drank it while watching getting through the opening credits of my DVD.

Nov 5 TC tank booties 002

The coral tank I am wearing is a new one from Tommie Copper, by the way, from their Active Fit line.  I love how long it is and it stays put ‘cause it is so snug and supportive.    And yes, my workout was intense and sweaty and I loved it!  Rain all you like, November!

So for the past several weeks I have been adding #onesmallchange each week, and so far so good. I am making a conscious effort to meet these challenges each week because I know that I will be reporting about them, so they are stay in the forefront of my mind.

Here are my #onesmallchange commitments so far:

1. no eats after 8 p.m.
2. drink at least 64 ounces of water
3. take supplements
4. uplift one woman each day
5. be extra nice to a difficult woman

Thankfully I have not encountered a difficult woman, or even a cranky person every day.  But when I do, I make sure to S-M-I-L-E at them!  I think a smile can really make a person feel acknowledged and valued.  


Are you making #onesmallchange this week, too?

Please tell me what you eat before you workout or run?  I need some new ideas. 

5 comments:

  1. I love butternut squash and eggs before work outs... And after work outs too! Such amazing fuel and the meal is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I work out early, I will go out on an empty stomach. Since doing the Grain Brain Challenge, I've been waking up famished. Today I had a hard boiled egg pre-run but my stomach felt sour/acidy. Pre-Grain Brain I'd have a mini bagel with nut butter. Thanks for linking up and sticking with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one that works out on an empty stomach or very little food or I feel UGH.. but many are different.... Before my long outside run on the weekend I have a more carb loaded bar about 1 hour before the run.

    LOVE your choices for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Picky Bars before a run. Lately I've experimented with making my own version of them. They're great fuel. I also frequently grab just a banana and I always have Energy Bits.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Elle, thanks for sharing your diet chart. I am wondering what pre workout supplement do you use? Do you have some recommendations?

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!