Tuesday, December 24, 2013

#onesmallchange … Breathe

This week as I link up to Marcia’s  final #onesmallchange post, I have gratitude and humility on my mind.

button2

Yesterday, The Captain and I got bundled up against the cool wind and walked downtown.  We had several destinations in mind… a stop at our insurance broker to renew my car insurance, a bank deposit, a nice lunch in Chinatown, a visit to the Fairmont Empress Hotel to wander through the Christmas Tree display,  and where we also purchased a couple of new lighted ornaments for our own little tree.

Tree 2013

We have had this little tree since we first moved onto the sailboat in 2001 and have been collecting an ornament every year we have been together… it is so sweet and very meaningful to both of us.  We have lots more room now but still haven't been able to give up this little tree for a larger one.

We took several of our ‘cheer’ bags along and as we walked, we noticed even more people than usual, quietly sitting in doorways, or standing on the side of the street with caps out for donations.  We greeted them with a smile and a ‘Merry Christmas’ and made sure to make eye contact and connect as we passed each one a ‘cheer’ bag.  And I made sure to ask if I could give their dogs  their own ‘doggy cheer’ bags, too.  Every one of them thanked us and as we exchanged smiles and greetings, I felt blessed.  What really  bothers me most about homelessness and the street life is that it tends to makes people anonymous, and I wanted  each of these folks to know that we SAW them, and cared about them.

We came home realizing that we can keep this little project up through the rest of the Winter… it doesn’t have to be just about Christmas.

Over the past several weeks I have committed to these #onesmallchange challenges… and for the most part I am doing well.  The bedtime routine continues to plague me… and I have come to realize that it is likely not as important to me as I THINK it should be.  But I am getting to it more often so that is a positive change at least.
  1. no eats after 8 p.m.
  2. drink 64 ounces of water each day
  3. take my supplements
  4. uplift at least one woman each day
  5. be extra nice to a difficult woman each day
  6. have enough pre-workout fuel
  7. nutrient combination of 20% fat, 35% protein, 45% carbs
  8. pre-bedtime routine
  9. allow myself to be IMperfect
  10. one yoga session per week
  11. step back from social media
  12. patience

This week my #onesmallchange is to just BREATHE and ACCEPT.  Let it all flow.  I am so READY!

What about you?  Can you make #onesmallchange this last week of the year?

5 comments:

  1. I love the idea of the "cheer" bags:) So nice Elle. I walk past those people and wonder about their lives. I feel sad that they don't have homes and food on the table. I'm sure some are really trying to find jobs but it's impossible to know which ones would use $$ for the right reasons. Cheer bags are the perfect way to help without contributing to "bad habits". Love it! Hope you and the Captain have a wonderful holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breathing - so important, especially on a day like TODAY when the festivities REALLY BEGIN!

    I hope you have a terrific XMAS!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE!! Me - gonna take a blogging break - will read, may not comment.. but just reflect on what I need for 2014... :) Have a wonderful one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. inlaws arrive today.
    my change? BEING ZEN WITH THEIR VISIT :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheer bag is such a great thoughtful idea! Merry Christmas to you Elle!

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!