Friday, November 4, 2011

Good to Go! Hurray hurray hurray!

I am so excited to share this news that I can hardly stand it!

I saw my eye surgeon this morning and he gave me the go-ahead to run again!

HURRAY!

We drove into the City this morning so I could keep my 2-week-post-surgery appointment with the miracle worker that performed my eye surgery on October 20th.  Since yesterday morning, I have not 'seen' any evidence of the gas bubble in  my eye.  The vision is pretty darn clear and I am feeling so energetic I can hardly sit still.  I walked 5 miles on Wednesday and another 2 on Thursday...  Thursday I came close to breaking out into a run and really had to reign myself in so that I didn't.

The eye itself is still somehwhat yellowish and and the tender skin underneath the eye still shows some purplish bruising (yes I am still hiding in my sunglasses in public).  But it feels good, which means it doesn't feel anything out of the ordinary.

I went into the appointment feeling hopeful that he would tell me that I can start sleeping on my back again, could lift some light weights and start doing Pilates again, but he did more than that... he told me that I could start running again.  I could have hugged him. (I didn't, but barely!) And he said I could remove the information bracelet that I have been wearing since the surgery.

It is an in-case-of-emergency hospital-style thing, that has his name and phone number on it, and says that I have a gas bubble in my eye and cannot travel in an airplane or go to higher elevations, without danger of damaging my vision permanently.  It is bright green, and very scratchy.   I also have had to carry a card in my wallet or my pocket with the same information. So glad to be rid of these things... that really makes it official for me!

So, I will see him again in January for a follow up - my vision should have improved as much as it is going to by then... if it doesn't get any better than it is now, I will still consider the surgery a success. 

I can now revamp my November goals to include running!  Thanks to all of you who have commented and ofteed kind words of encouragement and advice.  I really appreciate your support so much.

Did you see this new button on my sidebar?




I found this site yesterday and decided to join in.  If you are interested, do have a look.  It just might appeal to you as well.

Guess what I will be doing tomorrow?

11 comments:

  1. EEEEKKKKKKKK!!!!!!! SO GREAT ELLE!!!!!! what wonderful news for a Friday :) Enjoy your run tomorrow!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! That is wonderful news. I suspect a run is in the plan for tomorrow then?!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! That is wonderful news. I suspect a run is in the plan for tomorrow then?!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!! SO happy to hear such wonderful news :) have a great run!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is the best news any runner can get!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is wonderful news! I'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I missed this news until now (as I am getting caught up)! I am so happy, Elle! This is great news and I am so glad you are not only well, but back to running. :) Going to read more..... ;)

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!