Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Grocery Shopping - Love it or Hate It?

For some reason, Fall always feels like the beginning of a new year.  Is it the change in the weather?  Or is it a holdover from my school years when September was the beginning of a new school term?  Whatever the reason, I get excited to recommit to my workouts and eating plans when Fall rolls around.

When we got back from our little week-long getaway a few days ago, the fridge was empty and clean and I could hardly wait to get out yesterday and fill it up with good things to eat!

A quick shot of some of my purchases
 
I did shop with some specific items in mind.  But I also wandered the produce section of the supermarket, choosing various items as I went.  Some are things that I consider to be staples in my galley.... carrots, onions, potatoes, garlic, ginger root,  ... and others I choose when they are seasonal and well-priced... mini cucumbers, green peppers, fresh fruits in season, squashes, yams.  I am always very excited about the various squashes that are available in the Fall! 
 
I have to admit, that I LOVE freggie shopping.  I like to see what's in season, and what might be new and unusual, too.
 
Usually I like to plan several days worth of dinners and cooking/baking projects, and then make a list before I shop.  That way I make sure to have all the necessary ingredients on hand, and I can avoid having to run to the store at the last minute.... I hate that, don't you?
 
For example, I know that I am going to make Vanessa's Coconut Chicken tonight, and I made sure that I picked up some fresh spinach for that.  And I will have spaghetti squash  when I make a pasta dinner for The Captain one night.  I am also planning to make a batch of gluten-free granola this week, so I made sure to get some sliced almonds.
 
I also like to make sure I have healthy snacks on hand so I am not tempted to dip into The Captain's candy stash!  I like to nibble on raw cashews, dark dark chocolate, rice cakes with Laughing Cow wedges and cucumber slices, or chunky natural peanut butter.... and yes, I do indulge in Nutella occasionally!
 
Do you like to grocery shop? 
 
Do you preplan your meals and shop from a list?
 
Do you shop the food flyers and specials and plan your meals around them?
 
 
 
 



10 comments:

  1. Grocery shopping is probably one of my least favorite things to do. I really do aim to just go once a week with darling daughter and to have a set menu. We fell off the good shopping plans and need to get refocused again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to all three! Although I'm bad about planning for an entire week at once. Ergo I end up at the store more than I want to. But I enjoy it. This is such a great time of year produce-wise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I grocery shop every Wednesday morning at our local Publix and I generally get the staples that we need and the good deals from the weekly ad that I know we will use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I like it, sometimes it's a real chore - especially of I'm rushed or the supermarket is really busy! I tend to plan meals and write a list, and am getting better at not buying too many things that weren't on the list! And I do keep an eye out for special offers too, so sometimes a meal plan gets entirely rearranged!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I HATE grocery shopping, I just kind of wing it most of the time. I should get more organized and I have tried.. but it sort of bores me and never lasts long.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i HATE grocery shopping. i try to go as little as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love grocery shopping too. in fact, if i get bored i just go to whole foods and walk around. yes, i realize that makes me really lame. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i enjoy grocery shopping but i feel like i always forget something and end up with a bunch of stuff i didnt plan. for the most part it doesnt bug me but i would like to try meal planning at some point to cut back on unnecessary spending!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love, love, love grocery shopping! I could go every day, and sometimes do. I like to see what's new, what's fresh, and think about what I could make. I would love to retire and become a professional grocery shopper (hate all other forms of shopping).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, that's a great haul! I love grocery shopping. It's like planning, with food. I usually buy dry staples once a month and fresh staples once a week. They all depend on price and yes, I do check the ads. I always buy fruit and veg, but depending on what is fresh/cheap/in season, not really very specifically, except for things like onions...

    ReplyDelete

Love it when you leave me a comment!