I have lots of irons in the fire right now… and am feeling somewhat overwhelmed by everything looming in front of me that needs to be done, all seemingly in a short period of time. Sometimes I just don’t feel like doing any exercise.
I know that this little panic is fleeting…. I will sort it all out and put my nose to the grindstone, so to speak, and get it all sorted out, and yes, DONE. I am pretty sure that being BUSY is just an excuse.
Do you ever feel like that? That there is just too much to do and your workouts sorta slide… or you want to let them slide?
Why is that?
I am really seeing good results with the hard physical work I have been doing in this and the previous round of Best Body Boot Camp. I am doing lots of new exercises that I have not been exposed to before, and I am finding some of them very difficult, and some of them actually impossible… it has taken a bit of a toll on my attitude lately. I have found myself procrastinating and taking more time to getting to my morning routine these past couple of weeks.
I am not sure just why. I need to sort this out because I don't want to go down the road to self sabotage.
It is time for an assessment. It is time for an attitude adjustment. It is time for a recommitment to the process and to remind myself why I am doing this work in the first place.
Just getting my thoughts out in front of me in no particular order:
- I know that when something is easy it really isn’t doing me a lot of good.
- I find that I mostly want to work my upper body – my shoulders and my arms especially.
- I love feeling worn out and really spent after a hard workout.
- If I haven’t lifted weights I don't feel like I have really worked.
- I don’t like ‘focused’ core work. I would rather work my core/abs as part of the overall workout.
- I am happy to do lower body work but I don’t want to dedicate a whole workout to it and not do any upper body work at all.
- I like working out 3 days a week and having the other 4 days to do cardio/run or active rest – walk, yoga, dance, hike and so on
- I am doing all of these things for me and me alone. No one makes me feel like I should exercise. No one is disappointed if I don’t exercise. There is no competition or comparisons with other Boot Campers going on here.
- I love to sweat. I love to work hard. It makes me feel good.
- I love seeing and feeling the results of my hard work.
- Sometimes I don't want to do the workout I see assigned for a particular day.
Ah... there is the real problem, I think. WHY don't I want to do the particular workout I see laid out before me?
It is not the workout that I find lacking... it is my ability to DO the workout. I don't want to do it because I think I CAN'T do it well enough to get any benefit from it. I feel like there is not point doing it at all if I don't do it well enough.
But, just perhaps I am getting MORE out of it because I cannot do it well... because my muscles are working hard just to attempt the moves.... yes, just possibly that is true.
Therefore, I need to allow myself to NOT be able to do something… to be inept… to have struggles… to keep TRYING…. yes, to suck... and to do the moderations or alternatives suggested.
It is okay to not be good at things…. it is NOT okay to not try them. It is NOT okay to avoid them.
Pitty party over. I have a workout to get to!
Do you ever avoid an assigned workout because you don’t like it or aren’t good at it?